Chapter 8- Matrimony Mayhem

Typically, the day of someone's wedding is one of the greatest days of their life. Not only that, it is a day filled with anxiety for both the groom and the bride. I suppose that the reasons I'm feeling anxious are very different from the normal soon-to-be married couples.

I thought back to almost a week ago when Hagumi snuck into the Tsurumaki estate to see me. I haven't seen her since that day. So many different thoughts filled my head when I thought about her. Was she okay? Did her and the others actually manage to come up with a plan? Will they try to help me?

Well... I guess it might be a little too late to help at this point. I'm sitting in a car being driven by none other than the suited woman, Hanamura, to the church where I am supposed to be getting married to Kokoro. Yet another awkward car ride with her. Her fancy suit, her neatly trimmed black hair, and her always serious gaze hidden behind her sunglasses. Jeez, was there ever a moment where this woman wasn't being extremely professional about her job?

Still, I need to find a way to prevent Kokoro's father from being murdered. Trying to convince Hanamura might be my only hope...

"H-hey Hanamura?"

"What is it, Y/N-sama?"

Even after a week living in luxury at the Tsurumaki's, I had never gotten used to having people refer to me as 'sama'. Something about it doesn't feel right to me.

"Can you do me a favor?"

"That depends. What is the favor?"

"I need you to give me a certain wine bottle that is going to be served at the afterparty."

"...Why?"

"Well, to be specific, I want you to swap out two wine bottles. I want you to find the bottle that is for Kaito Tsurumaki and swap it with another one. Give the bottle meant for him to me, I give you permission to swap out that wine bottle with any other bottle you find or buy. If you can get it back to the church during the wedding I would be very happy."

"And why should I do this?"

"...family wedding tradition."

"It's a wedding tradition in your family?"

"Yeah."

"..."

"..."

"Don't play games with me," She shook her head, "What's the real reason you want that wine bottle?"

I thought my plan was done for until a sudden idea popped into my head. Only Hagumi and I witnessed the exchange revealing my family's intention to kill Kokoro's father. Kokoro is the only other one who knows about this plot. Knowing Hanamura's extreme loyalty to the Tsurumaki family, maybe I can get her onto our side...

"That wine bottle is poisoned."

"Poisoned? Is this a prank you're playing on me?"

"You don't understand. The L/N family is using the wedding to get the heir to the Tsurumaki estate under their control while eliminating Kaito! This way they will take complete control of the Tsurumaki fortune for themselves! Please, Hanamura, you have to do this." I begged her.

Judging from the look on her face, I could tell that she felt very conflicted.

"...and why should I believe you? Do you have any proof?"

"I don't have any proof that I can show you. Even if there is doubt in your mind, you should help me. If I'm wrong then nothing happens, but if I'm right, then Kaito will die!"

Silence filled the car for a moment as the car pulled up to the church.

"Get out of the car. We're here." She signaled for me to leave the car, "I'll be back here later. I don't like to admit that I'm wrong. Plus, if it ended up that you were right, I wouldn't want my master's death to be something that I could've prevented."