Chapter 215 - Old Friend

"Ahhhg!" Clara moaned getting up from her seat at the dinner table to reach for Emilia, who was running away before finishing her dinner.

"One more moan like that and I'm taking you to the hospital." Christopher said helping Clara back into her seat and then fetching Emilia himself.

"I just moved too quickly." She scoffed.

"It doesn't matter. The Doctor told me about the preeclampsia. If the pain gets too much you could have a fit and then where would we be." Chris sighed lifting Emilia into her seat at the table again.

They had been trying to get her out of a high chair and into just a booster seat on a normal chair. However, with the new found freedom she just kept getting up before she'd finished her dinner.

"Please... I'm fine. Eva's just scared you with stories." Clara rolled her eyes.

"Yeah... I heard about your last pregnancy. It wasn't pretty. Look— I'm only trying to help. Alright? If there's anything I can do, I'm here." Chris nodded.

"Alright." She smiled quickly.

"Richard said you're not to go into the office anymore." He said.

"Wait what?" Clara stopped eating and stared at him unhappily.

"We were talking last night and he said you shouldn't go in anymore. You can work from home. Less stress. Less travel." Chris said.

"But I've got 2 months to go still— I worked right up until I had Emilia." Clara pouted.

"I've been filled in about what happened with Emilia. She was early, and we're not taking any chances this time round." He smiled at her.

"You can't just tell me what to do..." Clara scolded.

"Of course not... you know I'm just worried. This is the first time I'm doing this and I just want it to go as smoothly as possible." He reached his hand out and held hers gently.

"I know." She smiled slightly. "Hey, so you think Eva's having a good time?"

"I hope so. Paris is great, she should have a great time." Chris was happy with the change of subject.

"John phoned this morning and said things were going well. They'd been to see some sights and were going to lunch... sounds like a good time." Clara smiled. "Eva said she'd call later or tomorrow."

"I'm glad." Chris nodded.

"You know I'm worried too?" Clara circled back to their original conversation.

"No, I didn't know. You seem so relaxed." He sighed a breath of relief.

"Well I am. With Emilia... it was really scary but I wasn't really awake for a lot of it. I was having these crazy seizures and I was in and out of consciousness... I just about managed to push her out in time." She explained.

"You don't remember much?" He asked.

"Not a whole lot." She mumbled.

"So are you worried the same thing could happen?" Chris asked.

"I guess... or worse? Look I know it'll probably be okay but I gotta not think about it." Clara sighed.

"What about Eva?" He wondered.

"What about her?"

"Her birth? Was it okay?" Chris smiled.

"Oh god we're digging back 17 years... yeah I mean it was a whirlwind but I was fine. John didn't come right away and my mum was in hospital herself so I did it alone and I just remember feeling very proud about that." Clara smiled widely.