Chapter 208 - Schools

"Finally I'm ready." Clara came downstairs and saw Chris sat at the table with the food all laid out nicely for the both of them.

"Sit, I'll microwave our food." Chris smiled standing up quickly and grabbing the two plates. Luckily they had two microwaves because they used them for baby food and their food so they needed more than one.

"Oh I'm sorry its gone cold." Clara moaned sitting down to an empty table and taking a sip of water.

"It's no problem." He smiled standing with the microwaves.

"She would not lie down you know? I think she might have a cold or something because she's a clingy child but she is never like that. She clung onto my shirt for dear life. I gave her some calpol as a precaution." Clara explained.

"Would she not lie down in the crib again?" Chris sighed.

"No, she stood up and every time I lied her down she sat back up again and screamed for me. I can't do tough love, I can't just walk out of the room on her while she's sobbing." Clara pouted. "Eventually I read her a story as she sat on my lap and she fell asleep and I managed to move her without waking her. Just."

"Oh good." He nodded.

"I feel so bad this was our date night and it was ruined." Clara moaned it was almost 9 o'clock.

"It's fine clar." Chris laughed. "What could you have done? Nothing. You have an 11 month who still relies on you heavily." He shrugged.

"I guess. It just sucks..." Clara sighed. "Anyway thanks for the amazing dinner." She smiled.

"My pleasure." He smiled gently as they sat down to eat eventually.

- - - - -

"She got into the school." Clara squeaked as she was going through the post after work.

"Like she got in with a scholarship?" Nick asked as he walked around the small kitchen in the flat.

"Yes like we applied for the full scholarship on a whim and she got it all. I don't have to pay any of it. They think she's really smart. My eleven year old is going to the fanciest school in London." Clara said wrapping her arms around nicks neck.

"I'm so proud of her." Nick smiled kissing her gently.

"Me too. Oh how should I tell her? We should also celebrate maybe dinner or something?" Clara grinned.

"When does she get in from school?" Nick asked.

"She should be back any minute Alicia's mum is dropping her off after netball." Clara said glancing at her watch.

"Well how about we surprise her and then ask what her favourite restaurant is and we'll go there. I'll pay." Nick smiled.

"Aw that is so sweet." Clara kissed him again gently.

"Mum? I'm home." Eva said walking into the flat.

"Hey Ave, I'm here." Clara appeared in the doorway to the kitchen in the hall.

"Everything ok?" She asked.

"Great... fine... you ok? You don't look happy." Clara frowned.

"Just Alicia got accepted to that fancy school today. I mean it was a given anyway her parents are paying most of it. But I didn't get anything in the post the last 5 days..." Eva sighed.

"Well actually uh I got this for you today..." Clara said handing her the letter. "It came addressed to me I guess because of the money." She smiled.

"What?" Eva's eyes widened.

"Read it." Clara hummed.

"You've been awarded a full scholarship? Mum this is amazing!" Eva jumped up and down.

"You got in babe." Clara smiled hugging Eva and basically lifting her up.

"I got in. With a full scholarship. To the best school in London." Eva looked so happy.

"I'm proud of you." Nick appeared.

"Thanks Nick." Eva hugged him too.

"Pick your favourite restaurant dinner is on me." He smiled.

- - - - -

"Johns meant to be picking up Emilia today for the first time since his little yelling match." Clara sighed.

"Oo so he's said he's coming?" Christopher asked.

"Oh yeah he text me... won't call me but he texts..." Clara rolled her eyes. She never got any kind of apology from him about the way he treated them at the funeral.

"He's not worth a phone call." Chris laughed.

"Anyway Emilia turns one next week and I need an excuse to see him so I can invite him to her party so I don't look like the bad person." Clara laughed.

"Fair enough. I guess he deserves to be at his daughters 1st birthday party..." he nodded.

"I don't know if he deserves anything." Clara scoffed. The doorbell rang and Clara paused for a moment. "That will be him." She nodded.

"I'll be upstairs." Chris rolled his eyes. They decided it best if those two didn't interact for now.

"Hey John." Clara opened the door smiling.

"Clar, hey you alright?" He smiled.

"Yeah not bad, come in." She nodded. "You doing ok?" She asked politely.

"Yeah just fine... look I know about last week—" John began but clara spoke over him.

"—Emilia's birthday party is next week. Here at the house. You should come." Clara interrupted him.

"On her actual birthday?" He asked.

"Yeah June 15th it's a Saturday." Clara nodded.

"I'll be there." John said sincerely but Clara never believed anything when it came to promises about birthday parties.

"I'll pick Emilia up tomorrow." Clara said as they walked into the living room to grab Emilia's bag and Clara picked her up from the floor.

"Tomorrow?" He asked. "Just one night then?"

"Yeah." She said bluntly.

"I guess Eva won't be joining then." John sighed.

"John honestly I can't say I blame her for not joining..." Clara breathed.

"Yeah me neither." He nodded.

"Look I hope you're doing ok since the funeral and I want you and Emilia to have bond so you can have her for the one night but I can't force Eva to do anything she doesn't want to she'll be 18 in six months." Clara scoffed.

"I know I know and thanks for letting me take her, I'm really sorry Clara about everything." John said taking Emilia from her and smiling gently.

"I appreciate everything you're going through John just next time don't take it out on my family." Clara smiled back at him kindly.