In Which Sophie's Soulmate is Finally Established

Sophie woke feeling normal.

Sure, her head was a bit sore, her neck a bit bloody, but everything seemed...normal. She was in a small gray room with no windows. She tried the door. Locked. She considered punching a wall—to test out her werewolf strength (that was a thing, right?) and because of her general state of aggression—but decided against it.

Where were her shapeshifting abilities? Her rank in the pack? Her wolf?

HI. HOW ARE YOU.

Sophie jumped up. She turned around. She jumped up and down like she was trying to jostle water out of her ear. "Huh?"

I'M YOUR WOLF. SILVER!

"Um. Hi?" It felt like there was a termite inside her brain. Something rattled deep inside her ear canal. "I'm Sophie."

I KNOW.

"Could you maybe talk a little quieter? It kind of feels like you're trying to make me go prematurely deaf."

WE HAVE A MATE. WHY WOULD WE CARE ABOUT HEARING?

"Because we also have a life?" At least, Sophie liked to think she did. "You know, I bet I'd be better at flirting with Zach-Xavier-Xane if I didn't have someone shouting in my head all the time."

Her wolf—Silver—was quiet. Great. Sophie figured she'd be more efficient without the random mate-focused voice screaming inside her head. She tried the door again. Still locked.

ZACH-XAVIER-WHATEVER IS NOT OUR MATE!

"Wait." Sophie stopped moving. She stopped breathing. Could it be true? Did she still have a chance at love? "What?"

YOU KNOW WHAT.

Sophie really didn't think she did. "Um... Are you talking about Nathan-Nate-Matt?"

BAD HUMAN. NO CHEATING ON OUR MATE.

"I'm not—I'm not cheating on my mate! I haven't even kissed anyone!" And that was a complete travesty, Sophie decided. She was in a world with werecreatures and she hadn't kissed one yet? She decided to kiss the next person she saw.

NO KISSING. KISSING BAD. UNLESS KISSING MATE. NATHAN-NATE-MATT IS NOT MATE.

Maybe she shouldn't kiss the next person she saw. Could Silver give her a brain aneurysm? Sophie wasn't sure. "Um, Silver?"

YES?

"Who is my mate?"

The base of her skull itched. Sophie pictured a miniature wolf running through her blood vessels, pausing occasionally to growl and paw at the ground.

"Is my mate..." Sophie frowned. Well, that was depressing. Since most of the male population of her high school had been ruthlessly murdered, she didn't have many possible soulmates. "Do I know my mate?"

YES. SILLY HUMAN.

"Oh! I've got it. It's Jaxon, isn't it?" It made total sense. He was hot and... that was about it. Sophie supposed he was passionate too, even if it was about destroying the world so he could eat acorns in the afterlife.

NO! WERECHIPMUNKS BAD.

Well, then who else could be her mate? Sophie paced from one side of the room to the other. Everyone she could think of was dead or had already been crossed off the list. Maybe she didn't have a mate. Or maybe...

"Do I have more than one mate?"

POLYGAMY BAD. MONOGAMY ONLY.

"But I thought that was a thing in werewolf books, like there would be a pair of werewolf brothers and they'd both mate with the same girl? Or like alphas of rival packs and they'd have to fight for her affection and eventually end up in a five-way relationship?"

ARE YOU PLANNING ON CHEATING ON MATE?

"Well, no, of course not. But I might not like him, you know, or—" Sophie frowned. She'd said him. Why had she said him? The truth was, there had been one person by her side since the very beginning, one person who balanced out her ideals and high standards with wisdom and rationale and boringness, one person who never failed to make her laugh. Sophie gasped. "Silver."

YES?

"I think I've figured it out."

GO ON.

"Is my soulmate—Is my soulmate Cora?"

GROSS.

"Why is Cora gross?" Sophie frowned, feeling faintly offended. "She showers twice every day. But she only uses shampoo and conditioner once a week because she's worried about the roots of her hair."

CORA IS A GIRL. YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN GIRLS.

"Well, I'm not totally sure about that, actually. I'm kind of just figuring it out. It does make a lot of sense, though, right? I mean, we work really well together. And I think she likes me too. She did date that one girl, Kathy, who absolutely hated me, like she would always steal my french fries and not in a cute way. In a I-want-you-to-starve-to-death way. And you know, I bet she was just jealous! I think this could work." Sophie nodded.

Her head ached. Something hard hit her inner ear.

"Silver. Stop attacking my brain."

STOP BEING AN IDIOT.

"Well then, tell me who my mate is!" Sophie glared at the wall. The wall didn't glare back. Her headache deepened.

YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW?

"No, I don't. Who else could it be?"

HUNTER. OBVIOUSLY.

Sophie frowned. She was pretty sure she didn't know a Hunter. Maybe he was one of the werewolves who'd helped Zach-Xavier-Xane rip apart Cora's car. Maybe he was a werechipmunk and she'd just seen his animal form. Could he be a teacher and she just didn't know his first name? Sophie shivered.

UGH. YOU'RE A BAD HUMAN.

"That's mean. You're a bad wolf." Sophie crossed her arms. "Are you sure I know him?"

A breeze tickled the inside of her ear. Sophie wondered if that meant Silver had just sighed.

FINE. I GUESS I'LL SHOW YOU.

An image sparked to life before her eyes. The boy was tall, dark-haired, and holding two yardsticks like swords. His shirt had gone missing at some point and his abs glistened in the sunlight, picture-perfect and heavily featured on his—admittedly watchable, but absolute trash—TV show, The Return of the Teenage Sex God. He bared a pair of needle-sharp fangs, his lips red with blood.

Sophie gasped. "Eric is a vampire?"

Question of the chapter! Do you believe in soulmates?

Word Count: Above 9000, but below 10000

Sorry for my completely ridiculous update schedule! Things have been a bit hectic on my end. I'm aiming for daily updates now after about two or three weeks of nothing. Thanks for sticking with this story; I really do appreciate the support. 

Sending you lots of mental encouragement and hoping that you do not have a wolf scratching at your cerebral blood vessels,

Harley