Chapter 4

The siren started slowly and at a low tone, its insistent sound more of a fly buzzing than a threat.

It rose higher, a keening mourning dove on the windowsill.

When it reached a scream, though, Maddie knew something was wrong.

She had fallen asleep on the floor of her room in the Academy, but she quickly scrambled up and exited her room.

In the hallway, students were milling around as the siren screamed.

Maddie spotted Paul with Yaron, another student.

"What's happening?!" she asked.

"I don't know, Maddie..." Yaron trailed off, his dark eyes piercing into hers.

"It just – just like that!" Paul said. "What is the siren for? Could it be Ikili –"

"Students, students!" Maddie heard Quijad's voice over a loudspeaker. "The Ikilisians have sent rockets at us. We are trying our best to intercept them –"

An explosion rocked the building.

"But we request that you all flee to the basement of the building, to the storage rooms, where you will be more protected."

Maddie, Paul, and Yaron started towards the stairs along with the rest of the students.

As Maddie descended, she was forced to the side by the crush of students who were also hurrying down. As she looked, annoyed, toward a student who shoved her, she saw a flash of orange in the air.

Calm, be calm. She whispered to herself, trying to meditate, trying to descend but blocked by the crowd of students streaming down blocking her off blocking her off no space...

Breathe.

There was a space open in front of her; hugging the banister, she took it and began to descend again.

Breathe.

Slowly, too slowly, she made it to the basement and collapsed on the floor, her breathing ragged.

Paul and Yaron were already there.

Paul hugged her.

"It'll be alright."