3 - The Feathers

"Oh," said Jenzi. He had almost forgotten that just about anything he said to this rabbit could be his last. She had a high temper, and she still had those extra-sharp ninja stars in the pocket of her vest. He went inside and sat on a dusty old armchair. He sneezed, then said, "Ruby, you can stay if you want. Mi casa es su casa." Ruby looked mildly confused. "Uhh... I don't speak Spanish, but okay." She hopped into the building and landed on a pillow. The rough blue fabric ripped and fluffy white feathers flew everywhere. Jenzi laughed. Ruby glared at him. "What're you laughing at???" she snapped. Jenzi forced himself to stop laughing. "I'm not laughing at you," he said. "I'm laughing at the feathers. I'll have to clean them up, you know." He got up to get a broom and dustpan. Ruby picked up one of the feathers and examined it. "Hey, Jenzi!" she called. Jenzi returned to the space with the broom and dustpan. "Yeah?"

"What kind of feathers are these?" she held one up in the not-so-bright light. "Oh, they're nothing special," replied Jenzi. "Just chicken feathers." 'Chicken feathers, you say?' thought Ruby. "Well," she said out loud. "I just so happen to be an expert on birds, and these are not chicken feathers!"

"That's strange," said Jenzi with a confused look on his face. "The guy I bought the pillow from said that it was stuffed with chicken feathers."

"Well, he was wrong. Very wrong." said Ruby, matter of factly. "These are wild albino parrot feathers! There are only about ten of those birds in the world! I'm not even sure how you thought this pillow would lighten up this dump. No offense."

"None taken."

"Anyways, you said you steal money right?" continued Ruby. "You can sell these feathers for a fortune! Then you'll have even more money, and then you'll be able to buy a... a gold boat or something!" She took a breath. "Just one feather is worth millions! Imagine how much you'd have with all these!"

Jenzi looked at the feathers. "You may be right," he said slowly. "But... I already have a lot of money, and I don't even know what to do with it. What am I supposed to do with even more money??"

Ruby thought for a moment. "You're right... If you want to keep all this a secret, then you can't buy a gold boat or you'll be questioned on how you got the money... hmmm." she thought some more.

Jenzi went to a lonely bookshelf and pulled out one of the books. The title of it was How to Know if Someone is Spying On You. He sat back in the armchair and started reading it. Ruby continued spewing out ideas on what to do with the rare bird feathers. 

Meanwhile, someone was outside the warehouse; spying on them. She was wearing a long black hooded cloak. "Rare bird feathers, huh?" the female voice murmured. "That rabbit talks too much. Soon enough those feathers will be in my possession, and I will have those riches!" The person in the cloak shuffled closer to the door, wondering if she should knock them out and steal the feathers right then and there. "No," she said to herself. "I'll wait. See what else they have to say. Wait for the perfect moment to strike."