Chapter 9

"What's good kid?" Derrick went into the bedroom where JJ was playing the game.

"Hey, Derrick." JJ responded without looking at him.

"I wanted to talk to you about something. Got time?" he asked.

"Wassup?"

Derrick sat on the edge of the bed, since JJ was already sitting in his game chair. "I asked your mother to marry me and normally when a man asks a woman to marry her, he asks the leading man in her life for his blessings. And as her oldest son, that man is you."

JJ paused the game and stared at Derrick. "Where is my mom?" he asked.

"She's down in our bedroom."He answered.

"Okay." JJ got up and left the room and went to his mom's room. "Mom?" he walked through the open door.

"yes, son?" she gave him her attention.

"Mom, you can't marry Derrick." he said.

"What?" She sat up with a frown. "What's wrong honey?"

"I just don't think it's right for you to marry him."

"Why not? I thought you liked Derrick? You two have been getting along so well."

"Yeah, but," JJ looked behind him then walked to close the door. "What if he cheats on you, mom? Then you'll be heartbroken and then you guys will get a divorce."

"What? Where is all of this coming from?" she asked. "What's going on?"

"I just don't want to see another torn relationship like," then he stopped talking.

"Like what?" She asked. "Like who?" she wanted answers.

"Nothing." He shook his head. "I just don't think it's a good idea that you guys get married."

"No, tell me. There's obviously something on your mind and you're going to tell me about it." she said

"Sweetheart?" Derrick walked in the bedroom.

Both, Angel and JJ looked at him.

"Honey, could you give us a minute?" She requested.

"Okay." He left with a little disappointment.

When the door closed, she looked at JJ again. "What's going on?"

JJ sighed, "I think dad and mom are getting a divorce." He said.

"Why would you think that?" She asked.

"Because, there were a few nights when I heard them arguing and fighting. She said something about her leaving and then told him to leave."

"How about this?" Angel spoke. "Don't worry about your dad and Mya's issues. They're going to work something out. And just because they're going through something doesn't mean that Derrick and I will go through something like that."

"He hurt her, mom." He said, "What if Derrick hurts you?"

"If he does, that'll be our issue, son. Not yours. You shouldn't dip your nose into grown folks business, that's why you're so upset." she said.

"I know, I just don't think it's a great idea."

"Tell me this, for as long as Derrick and I have been together, have you heard us argue?" she asked.

He thought for a moment, "Well, yes." he answered.

"And we're still together right?"

"Yes." He almost hesitated to answer.