Chapter 43

"Auntie Cat? What are you doing here?" Alex asked after Cat walked into her studio.

"I came to talk to you." Cat removed the large shades from her face and stepped closer.

"Everything okay?" Alex see a look on her face that leaves her concerned.

"You're not busy right now, are you?" She asked.

"No, I'm just working on something, nothing major."

Cat sat down where she spotted two chairs. There was no one there so this was an appropriate time. "I know you're wondering how I found you, Wanda told me where you worked." She spoke.

Alex didn't know that Wanda knew where her studio was but Wanda was good at finding out things like that.

"I've been talking to her for the last couple of days after we were at the restaurant and I went by Earl's house and they were both passed out."

Alex frowned. "Passed out?"

Cat let out a breath and her eyes swelled with tears. "Wanda overdosed."

Alex's heart dropped.

Cat gently placed her hand on Alex's hand.

"What about Earl?" Alex asked.

"He's in the hospital, apparently, still breathing." Cat answered. "We have to go to the hospital for the paperwork."

"We?" Alex wasn't sure if she wanted to go.

"Yes, you're her daughter. You don't want to go?" Cat frowned.

"Did you forget the last conversation I had with her?"

"You have to let that go, Alex. She's gone now, but as her daughter you want to at least do her right with her passing."

"Do her right? I've been doing right by her forever! Don't make it like I haven't."

"I'm not, in just saying, you need some personal closure."

"I had that the other day, remember?"

"At this point you're only gonna hurt yourself. You're gonna need closure and. I wish the time but I'm not gonna push it. I'm gonna get to the hospital and then head to the funeral home to make some arrangements for her. Give me a call if you need to." Cat got up and placed her shades back on her face and left the studio.

Alex was glad no one else was there with her because it gave her a chance to break down and cry.

She resented Wanda for so many years and always wished she'd go away. Now, to know that her mom is gone it was hurting her. She was hurting because she never got closure. It had only been a few days since she talked to Wanda, now she was gone.

When she got home, she'd fixed dinner and got in the bed. Alex tired to get her family to eat together at the table but tonight wasn't one of those nights. She didn't eat, so she stayed in her bedroom.

"Baby, what's going on?" Drew asked, walking into their bedroom.

"What do you mean?"

"Seems like something is bothering you or on your mind." He said.

She let out a sigh. "Wanda passed away."

"Your mom?" Drew frowned.

She nodded, lowering her head.

He knelt at her side. "Baby, I'm so sorry."

Alex leaned back.

"How'd you find out?" He asked.