Chapter 14

"Daddy, do I have to stay here?" Joy complained with her arms folded across her chest. 

"Hell yea, you're gonna stay here. You've been testing me way too much, lil girl. Going off with college students and smoking weed? Who in the hell do you know that goes to Xavier?" He stared at her for a slight second, making sure his eyes aren't off the road for too long.

Joy was silent as she stared out the window.

"Oh, now you don't hear me talking to you?"

Joy wasn't gonna tell her that she was with Donovan. Drew was already strict on her about talking to boys, so a college boy would make him go nuts.

"Joy Danielle Robinson, don't make me pull this car over."

"That's fine, that's less of a moment I have spend at my mom's house."

"What's with you and this hatred you have for your mother?" Drew finally came out and asked her.

"You don't see it?" Joy questioned. "She's so disrespectful. When it comes to everything, I don't exist. It's everything over me, daddy, and I mean everything." Joy started to cry. "I shouldn't even claim her as my mom."

Drew softened a bit after his daughter began to shed tears. "Listen, I just want you to have a better relationship with her. Then again, it'll be nice if you could stay with her from time to time, since you live with me and Alex."

"But I love it with you and Alex. Mama, obviously never wants to be bothered with me. She has Brice anyways."

"You're her only daughter, Joy and she's the only mother you'll ever have. Cherish that." He said.

"Alex is more like a mom to me than she is. Seems like she's not the only mother I'll ever get." Joy commented.

"Don't say that. Your mother is has been through things and it's changed her."

"Things? Like what? A cheater?"

Drew was glad that he was caught by a red light. With his foot on the break and stared at Joy in disbelief. He wondered where she'd get that from. "Why would you say that? Where'd you get that from?"

"Sorry." Joy mumbled as she looked away with guilt. She didn't mean to say that, it was an outburst that caught her off guard. "I didn't mean to say that."

"I don't ever want to hear you say anything like that about your mother, do you understand me?" His tone was full of seriousness.

"Yes, sir."

The remainder of the car ride was silent. Drew didn't know what else to say to Joy and she wasn't going to say anymore. When they arrived to LaTrice's house, Joy walked straight into the house, still not saying a word.

Drew stayed outside in the car as he watched Joy unlock the door with her key and walk in the house. Before the door closed, it swung open and LaTrice walked out.

"Are you coming in?" LaTrice asked as she walked out into the driveway. He was sitting in the car with his window down.

"No." Drew turned his car off and got out. "But I did want to talk to you about something." He said.

LaTrice sighed, "What is it now? Every time you come over here, there's always a lecture you have to give me." She slightly rolled her eyes.

"This is serious, Trice. It's about Joy."

"What about her?" She questioned.

He got out the car and leaned on it. "Listen, I'm not trying to criticize your parenting skills, but Joy needs you, Trice."