22: at long last

T W E N T Y - T W O

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

Callan's POV

I stared at the passing city through the tinted window. I couldn't hear the commotion of the outside world and for that I was thankful. Being outside was over stimulating enough; I didn't need the extra facet of volume.

I picked at my cuticles, lost in thought. 

Prince, noticing my movements, nudged my shoulder with his nose from his place on the back seat.

I almost smiled; Prince was the greatest.

I couldn't imagine going through the past few weeks without him.

Though he wasn't even fully trained yet, he picked up on my anxiety and fear so well.

He always intervened in the middle of me hurting myself in my sleep.

I would have scratched my arms raw and picked my nails bloody if it weren't for him.

I gave his head a scratch the best I could while sitting in the front seat.

He quieted down, relaxing once again and I resumed my staring.

After a moment's pause, I heard the clearing of a throat.

My body, a traitor to me as always, got Goosebumps.

"Ça va?"

His raspy voice made me shiver, the space between us seeming even smaller now that he had spoken.

I turned to him, my gaze falling onto him as he drove. He glanced at me when he felt my eyes on him.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I turned red, feeling my body get hot.

I had spent the last month suffering.

I felt hopeless and numb.

And after only a few hours of being around him, that changed.

Not completely; it would have been foolish to think that I could be completely okay in such a short span of time.

But his presence made me feel safe.

And that was what I had been missing.

I felt naked, completely exposed to my dreams.

To my memories.

To his despicable touch.

To his repulsive words.

The protection he provided me felt otherworldly.

I couldn't even begin to describe the peace I felt when he found his way to me the moment that I called him.

I cleared my own throat, trying to make sure that my voice wasn't squeaky when I replied.

"I'm okay," still a whisper, but not high pitched.

I would take that as a win.

He glanced at me again, his eyes surveying my face for a second before he looked back at the road.

It had been easy to say yes to him on a whim.

It had been difficult to actually step out of my apartment.

I hadn't ever been impulsive before; it wasn't a trait I displayed commonly.

So the fact that I had said yes came as a surprise to me as well.