Chapter 7: The Ed Gein Room

The next room was Ed Gein's room. He's the notorious killer that inspired many horror villians such as Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, Norman Bates from Psycho and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre's Leatherface. When you walk in the room, it's decorated like an old barn. Items are hung on the walls with old boards all over. Wooden beams give you an idea that there is a larger loft area inviting you to look up. There's a smell of old wood and dust. Ropes hang above as well. There is a noticeable shovel hanging on the wall across from you, and pictures of Ed Gein by the door. 

Everyone on the tour shuffles in the room, standing around the enormous cauldron at it's center. It is in a massive plastic case. I moved underneath the shovel that was hanging on the wall, looking up to see the creepy upper loft have more of a death barn vibe. I'm guessing that is what they were going for here to display the gruesome true crime items.

Once everyone seems to be settled in a spot, the tour guide starts in on her informational speech about the room. 

"What you see around you is a recreation of the barn owned by Ed Gein, the notorious murderer that collected his victims' body parts and turned their skin into gloves, masks and furniture. The cauldron you see before is what Ed Gein used to discard his victims' entrails." I looked at the old kettle in front of me. This is where human parts were stored and destroyed, and we were looking at it in the center of the room. The idea started to make my stomach churn.

As the tour guide continued to talk about a picture on the wall about Ed Gein, I started to shut down from the morbid killer's history. I noticed the shovel above my head and started to feel a suffocating feeling, like being pushed down. I started to get a headache, and felt pushed from above. My body started to fight this immense pressure which felt like it was coming from the shovel above my head on the wall. 

Just then, I started to retune back into what the tour guide was saying about the items in the room. She motioned towards the shovel above my head. "The shovel on display on the wall was used to bury Ed Gein's victims."

I felt like I had to get out of there, away from the shovel, away from that cauldron. I started to move towards the door, just to get out. The tour guide ended her talk, "Take some time to look at the items and we'll move onto the next room." She must have seen the look on my face as I moved near her. She turned to me and asked, "Are you alright?"

"I just have to get out of here." She opened the door, and I went to stand in the hallway while the rest of the group looked over the items in the room. I'd had enough of Ed Gein, his cauldron and the shovel. The sickness in my stomach stayed with me until we moved away from it into the hallway and near the basement.