Chapter 6

Walls of Memory

        Blurred memories, dancing. She remembers the heaviness on her chest, the emotions she thought she had perfectly hidden behind those stronghold barricades she built. Jeongyeon stared at the glass, at the walls that tainted her reflection in return. After all, she wasn't brave enough. Wasn't tough to forget her past, even the act of remembering, it was a torture. Tears. She silently cried and she wasn't certain if the cause of it was the alcohol or the quietness of the place that stirred her melancholy — she cried.

        All came into a fog.

        A cracking migraine surfaced. Jeongyeon groaned and stretched her arms that felt like she'd been lifting barbels. Her sore muscles screamed and for a minute, her mind contained only blankness.

        Lids coming to flutter, she muttered, "Oh."

        She can feel the warmth from the blankets, that similar scent that warped her senses upon her wakening, and when she thought she was home, she realized she was in her room. Inside her suite. How? Jeongyeon pushed herself to sit, mind wandering where is the start and the end of those hazy memories that were yet to come clear as a crystal. As if frozen by the realization, by the discovery, Jeongyeon stared at the door, at the placements of her belongings she last left, then after a ticking second, she overviewed the entire place. At last, she watched her reflection in the mirror.

        Muted.

        She just let some stranger walk her back to her suite. Worst, she let him drag her, see her in her awful state when she expected to face these troubles alone. Problems she should only know. But does he? Did he see her fight a cry? See something in her eyes that sculpted such loneliness he had only seen now? Jeongyeon hated the feeling. She doesn't want them to know. She doesn't want anyone to know. And as if it collapsed to a more awful devastation, of all people, she let an engaged man see her misery, a person yet to be married. Let alone someone who lives only at the other side of these walls.

         Jeongyeon frowned but then, her phone rang. The tones pulled her out from reverie.

        It was an unknown number.

        A short uncertainty.

        She answered it.

        "Hello."