thirty-three

☾

THE COLD November breeze blew harshly, making Genevieve shiver, her teeth were chattering. It was one of the worst days of the week. It was snowing today, and she felt like just locking herself into a room forever, and staying under a comfortable blanket.

     She walked through the door of the bookstore. She let out a pent-up breath, once the warmth hugged her and encased her pale body, tightly. She took off her jacket and hat, hanging them on the coat rack near the door.

     "Genevieve?" Someone says, and she doesn't pay attention to the voice, causing her to just ignore them. She then realizes what she did, and bites her lip in guilt, hoping they would say something again, just so she could recognize their voice. The bookstore had just opened, so it was only employees, but she had memorized every person's voice there.

     "Hey, Gen." The person says, and this time, she concentrates on their voice really hard, but she can't point out who it is. She then turns around to see who it is.

     A girl . . . who was she?

     "Yeah?" She says, hoping she could find some sort of indication as to who this was.

     ". . . Do you not recognize me?" The girl asks, looking at her in shock. Gen shakes her head and the girl scoffs, "It's me, Leah."

     Genevieve racks through her mind, trying to figure out who Leah was, but she couldn't remember. "Your friend from high school. It's me."

     Gen's mind finally lights up and she slowly remembers a few things about Leah. It's been a while since she last saw her. She got into her accident when she was seventeen years old, after that, she moved away, leaving her old life behind, and she used to be friends with a girl named Leah.

     "Oh, well, hi." She softly says.

     Leah scoffs, as she rolls her eyes, "Seriously, hi? That's all I get? First, you don't remember me and now you're acting like a bitch."

     Genevieve looks at her confused, "Leah, I'm sorry it took a while for me to remember you, but it's been fourteen years since I last saw you. Also, what am I supposed to say other than hi?"

     "I don't know, something more welcoming, and the only reason we haven't seen each other in fourteen years is because of you. I was here to visit you, but fuck that, you're useless to talk to."

     With that, the tall, blonde girl walked out of the bookstore.