thirty-eight

☾

A FEW WEEKS had passed since the dinner.

     Genevieve felt lighter, freer. It had been a while since she had been stress-free. She shelved and placed away the brand-new books that had just come in. It was just her today, no one else.

     Everything was going great until it wasn't.

     The small bell above the door rang, signalling that someone had entered the bookstore. She walked up to the front and her eyes widened—Leah. Her pin-straight blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail. The easiest way to recognize her was the tattoo she had on her hand, and the nose piercing she had.

     She internally groaned, she didn't want to deal with her at all, especially after the last time. "Hi, can I help you?"

     Leah looks at her and scoffs, "Just the person I was looking for."

     Gen clenched her teeth, "Do you need help with something?"

     "No, I just needed to confirm a few things. I had to look into why you disappeared and didn't show up, and I learned quite a few things." Leah said to her.

     Gen looked at her confused, "What do you mean?"

     "Well, I made a visit to your father, who is actually in prison." She says, smirking, "Did you know that? Did you know that your daddy was in prison?"

     Gen doesn't answer, her eyes stinging with tears, as flashbacks of everything that happened to her play in her mind like a movie does on a film reel.

     "I learned that he tried to kill you." You could hear the satirical tone seep through every word she spoke. "Apparently he hated you so much that he tried to kill you, by planning a car crash. It must be harrowing, right? Knowing your own family hates you. I mean—" Leah was cut off, by Gen's hand, which had come in contact with her cheek.

     "Get out. Now. Don't you dare show your face here ever again?" Gen's voice was stone cold, anyone would've believed that everything Leah had just said didn't affect her. But it did. Her body was on the verge of collapsing and shutting down. Everything was hurting her, she felt like someone had ripped her heart out and stomped all over it. She was hoping everything that happened was just a hallucination. But it wasn't. She was old enough to know it wasn't one.

     Leah turned on her heel and left immediately.

     Gen's breathing became heavy. Her heart felt like it had the life squeezed out of her. She stumbles into the shelves in the back, as she hides from the glass windows. She didn't need anyone to witness her weakness.

     She sat there for a bit, and slowly calmed herself down. But her body had shut down, she felt numb. Everything she went through played like a movie in her mind. All of the screams and shouts and court trials played on a record player that never stopped.

     "Gen?" Ivan says, seeing her sitting on the floor, staring straight at the bookshelf in front of her. He had just gotten here, he didn't see her and started to look around.

     She didn't respond and just continued to stare at the bookshelf, letting the torturous memories play on a loop. He walks over to her and crouches down.

     "Hey, what's wrong? Did something happen?" He softly asks.

     She still didn't answer.

     "Gen? Baby, what happened? Say something, please." He says, concern lacing his voice.

     Everything stopped in her mind for a moment, and she took the chance to say something. "Home. Home. Please." Her voice had cracked, and Ivan nodded. "Okay, we'll go home."