twenty-two

☾

THEY TOOK a limo to the huge charity event. Once they had arrived, Ivan opened the door first and carefully guided Gen out of the limo. He clasped his hand in hers, their fingers intertwining, a tiny feeling floating around to never let go of each other.

     "Hold my hand the entire time, okay? There are going to be cameras, paparazzi, and news reporters. Ignore them. We're walking in with a red carpet on full display. Also, if I do end up having to leave you for a bit, I'll have you with my sister, or my other friend, Violet. They'll help you out loads, okay?" He explains, using his other hand to softly squeeze her shoulder in reassurance.

     Genevieve nods, "Got it."

     She tightens her grip on his hand, not wanting to let go. The limo slowly drives off and they start walking.

     The minute they get into view of the red carpet and everything, her breathing staggered, but Ivan squeezed her hand once more, "It'll be okay. I'm here."

     They step onto the red carpet, and bright flashes of cameras and lights go off.

     Questions get fired left and right.

     "Is that your girlfriend?"

     "How long have you been together?"

     "When did you meet her?"

     "Are you engaged?"

     Genevieve already wanted to disappear into thin air, but it was obvious she can't. The minute they walk into the huge building, her eyes glanced around and she soon realized that the charity event was hosted in one of the oldest museums around.

     New-York Historical Society Museum and Library.