forty-four

☾

epilogue

Genevieve

I WALKED down the rocky steps, lined with lights that Ivan and I recently installed. My bare feet hit the sandy beach that Ivan and I both owned. I was wearing a white bikini and some jean shorts. Ivan had told me to come outside, and meet him by the shoreline.

     We lived on a beach, filled with rocky cliffs, they weren't all that dangerous. They were useful for when you would want to see the beautiful scenery; filled with sunsets and crystallized water. We had a decent-sized house on top of one of the rocky cliffs, it was just there and it hadn't been vacant for years.

     Ivan and I decided to ask around about it, but no one knew that house even existed. Of course, someone could have been murdered in the house, and it had been closed off for all of these years, but the chances of that ever happening was and still are slim. Our backyard was a huge forest, which we didn't mind since we loved nature.

     I walked across the sandy beach, and the briny smell of the salty ocean water swirled through the air around me. The August sun shone brightly. It was Ivan's birthday today, he had officially turned thirty-five years old. I had an entire plan to spend together, but clearly, Ivan has thought of something else.

     I look up and see Ivan in swim shorts, sitting on the shoreline, and I smile as I see his dark skin shimmer from the bright sun. It had only been a year since we had met and god he got even more gorgeous than before. I on the other hand, also felt better. I was getting better. Something I thought I would never be able to do.

     I go to a therapist and I talk to her about everything. She also helps me out with my prosopagnosia. We play a round of Guess Who every time, and it's actually improved my situation a lot more, and Ivan plays at least forty rounds with me when I come home. He supports me and every single decision I make. I love him.

     I reach the shoreline and feel the water hit my feet, making me smile. The memories that I created here in the short three months of everything happening were just astounding. I had started a new box. A box filled with polaroids of my brand new start with Ivan and my own recovery.

     It was already halfway filled with polaroid snapshots. There were too many. As if he knew I was near him, he looked at me and smiled, getting up.

     I stared at his chest, my eyes trailing down until my line of sight reached the waistband of his shorts.

     He knew I was staring, considering the fact that a small smirk appeared on his lips. "Hey, baby." He said, stretching out his hand, I placed mine in his, and he pulled me close, his arm snaking its way around my waist, pulling me even closer.

     His lips meet mine, and they move in sync. I smile into the kiss, my mind flashing back to when we first kissed each other. It felt exhilarating, and the adrenaline that pumped through my body gave me a euphoric glow, inside and out. It was the exact same feeling as before, just a thousand times better.