Prologue

Prologue

Peeta's eyes were clouded over. This was the drunkest he'd been this year, and it was already August. Finnick had teased him relentlessly, causing Peeta to cave and drink.

Peeta had gone alone, and no one was there to put a stop to the men's banter. Normally, Katniss Everdeen, Peeta's girlfriend, would sidle up and tell Finnick to fuck off, and ask him to go bother someone else. But today, she had been busy with homework, and she would rather "sit in the woods and shoot arrows than come to that dumbass party".

Her words, not his.

So Peeta had gone alone, leaving her to her own devices. Later at the party, he texted her and asked how homework was treating her. He never got a response and presumed Katniss was off in the woods, hitting targets and ignoring her phone. But soon enough, Peeta found himself stumbling into the woods, his feet leading him, his brain following. Peeta didn't know where he was going, neither did he know why he was here, but he knew what he saw.

Katniss. Cato.

Cato Ludwig was Peeta's arch enemy. They had hated each other ever since kindergarten, when both of them had crushes on a beautiful girl. Peeta had genuinely liked her, but Cato wanted was a kiss from her.

When they grew up, and Katniss waltzed into their lives, Cato wanted to make Katniss his in all the wrong ways. Katniss, however, had made her choice.

And her choice was Peeta.

So, of course, when Peeta saw Katniss and Cato in extremely close proximity, his anger shot up.

"Katniss!" He yelled, his deep voice echoing around the dark and empty woods.

Katniss pulled away from Cato and turned to face Peeta. Her jaw dropped. She glanced at Cato.

"Go."

Peeta saw her mouth the word to Cato, who flipped Peeta off and ran away.

"Peeta!" Katniss called as he stomped towards her. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" Peeta asked. "I thought you were too busy with homework."

"I.. I was," She replied, eyes darting away from Peeta. "I told you I'd go into the woods."

"To shoot arrows?" Peeta countered. "Or to cheat on me?"

"I didn't!" Katniss protested. "I'm not-"

"Why the hell would you hang out with him? Why, in the name of God, would you kiss him?" Peeta yelled, furious. "You know how much I hate Cato Ludwig!"

"I do, I do know!" Katniss answered, raising her voice so she could be heard. "I'm sorry, but I.."

"You what?"

Silence.

Katniss's mouth opened and closed like a fish, but no sound escaped her.

"Aren't you gonna tell me, Katniss?" Peeta taunted. "Aren't you gonna defend yourself?"

"Peeta, I.. I love him," Katniss shook her head. "But I'm not-"

Out of anger, Peeta pushed Katniss away from him without a second thought. Katniss's silver eyes widened themselves at Peeta, before she lost her balance, and went rolling down the slope. She landed in a pile of dried leaves and earth, howling in pain.

"Peeta!" Katniss screamed. "Peeta, Peeta, please! Please.."

But Peeta's hazy brain couldn't think, his blue eyes couldn't focus, and so he turned his back on her and trudged out of the woods.

💖🙌✖️✨
i mashed Pretty Little Liars, The Lying Game and Hunger Games together to get this, Troubled One ;)

Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game was written by the same woman, Sara Shephard. you should read the series if you havent :)

huge thank you to TheFashionPixie for an amazing cover 💖

so what do you think? let me know!

This one for them hood girls, them good girls ⚓️

-A