Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Crickets chirped. Mockingjays sang. But Peeta still couldn't doze off. Since he got up and saw A's note on his study table, he wondered why A called themselves A. If they were pretending to impersonate Katniss, why A?

He sighed and rolled onto his back. Maybe he should just forget about A. Maybe A was a trick played on him by Cato or one of his minions, Marvel Quaid and Gloss Schlund. That sounded promising, right?

As if cornering Peeta wasn't enough, Cato started pretending to be Katniss and decided to leave creepy notes for Peeta to find. Perhaps Cato killed Katniss and wasn't planning to take the blame for it, so he chose to pin it on Peeta, which kind of made sense. Cato and Peeta hated each other anyway.

Peeta sat up in bed, pushing all his sticky blond hair off his sweaty forehead. He really needed to clear his mind. He got up, trudged to the toilet and washed his face. He wiped the water off with his towel and headed back to his bedroom, opening the bedside drawer. He extracted a packet of cigarettes and a lighter. He walked over to his window and flung it open before lighting his cigarette and sticking it in his mouth.

After a few pulls, he began pulling up memories. Memories that explained why A called themselves A while pretending to be Katniss.

"Hey, Peet!" Clove called at Peeta as she weaved her way through the crowd.

Peeta glanced over his shoulder at the small raven-haired girl he called his friend.

"Hey, Clove," Peeta responded, knocking back the cheap beer Clove had prepared at this party. "Now you notice me."

"Shut up," Clove laughed. "I want you to meet someone. Let's go!"

Clove brought Peeta to her backyard and he noticed a cluster of people sitting there. He recognized all but one.

"'Sup, Peet!" Finnick called when Peeta and Clove joined their little circle. "Where the fuck have you been?"

"Not here," He folded his arms and turned to Clove. "Who did you want me to meet?"

"Big A!" Clove said to the girl standing across him. "This is Peeta Mellark."

The brunette crossed over to him and held out her hand for him to shake.

"Katniss Everdeen." She told him, grinning a brilliant smile.

Later on, the others went back inside to take a hit but Peeta and Katniss stayed outside, drinking from the red cups silently.

"Why did Clove call you Big A?" Peeta asked, the question gnawing at him since just now.

Katniss laughed and drank a little bit more of her beer before responding.

"If you didn't know already, my middle name is Amelia," Katniss said. "And I like being in charge."

Peeta stubbed his cigarette on his desk and threw it out the window. He trudged back to his bed, pulled out the typewritten note he recieved from A and the very first text A had sent.

He reread them over and over for any clues that might help him take another step.

But he came up with nothing. At least he had established something.

Cato was a prime suspect.

But there was also another theory that had been bugging Peeta since he got that message.

Katniss couldn't be dead if she was A.

Could she?

💘✨🙌✖️
dun dun dun

do you guys think peeta is on the right track? which theory do you believe in?

theory #1 - cato is A
theory #2 - katniss is alive and shes A

let me know! :)

• Chapter 5 •
word count: 552 words 💬

Show you how it feels like, now I'm on the outside ⚓️

-A 💓