Day 6059

Darcy POV

Why the hell does my programming ALWAYS tell me what day it is?! I know what day it is just from memory!

It's Day 782-

...Maybe I do need that counter...

"GET DOWN HERE!" my mother yelled. According to her, I had to be down there about 6 seconds ago, yet when I need her help she takes her perfect 30 minutes getting down! My 14-year-old self ran down, annoyed.

"Not hungry!" I yelled, rushing outside. I was late for the bus, as usual, as the driver waited less time at my house than the others. Like clockwork, I got on the rear bumper and held on, while the driver set off for the business district. I wish I had set an alarm, as the manager was not going to be happy. 

My job was set at a convenience store, as a cashier. Fresh out of Drone High, I had to start my adult life in this colony. The ones that couldn't either took their chances outside or were taken by one of the many different gangs around. Not for recruiting, but for scrapping. 

Someone outside, in a safer place, would ask 'What happened to the police?'

Corruption happened. Every single cop in the 57th district was either on the payroll of a gang or didn't interfere with the gangs. Those who did suffer a worse fate than the Scrapped.

I jumped off the rear as the store came into view, which I quickly entered. Not many drones were around, and the ones that were are guards stationed by the gangs. As I sat down in my seat, I realized that these were from Screen Scrapers, rather than from Golden Bullets, like usual. 

As customers streamed in, the artificial daylight cycle active, I kept a close eye on the new guards. The transactions weren't hard, except for that old drone who brought cooking supplies and paid in metal cookies. She was an owner of a daycare, one that wasn't corrupt. Speaking of, here she was!

"Hello, Darcy!" Jen greeted.

"Hello! The usual?" I asked. Nobody dared keep the old drone waiting, she was too kind for that. 

"Why yes! I already have the cookies!" she replied, sliding a plate of metallic cookies over. I started eating them as she walked out with the supplies. Before I could grab another, my manager came over and threw the plate on the floor.

"Get back to work! And stop letting that old hag get away with our supplies!" he ordered, before heading outside to converse with one of the guards. Of course, customers in line grabbed the cookies, before I had to deal with a particularly unpleasant surprise. 

School had let out.

Of course, teenagers rushed in, storming the store, with only me inside. Shoplifting was rampant, and I just went into the back to relax. The door shut with a satisfying click before the sound of bullets ran out. A gang attack was happening, on what was a normal day. 

As usual, I just walked outside, letting the building provide cover as I walked home. The bullets sometimes fell on me, nothing I couldn't handle. The nighttime cleaners would fix the mess. I opened the door, to find my mother slumped on the couch, a USB plugged in her head. Not even caring, I trudged up the stairs and collapsed in my bed.

Darcy's Dream

Time to get up... Again-

WHAT THE HELL?!

I'm... outside! 

I'm outside?!

I'm outside of the bunker!