[52] RECAP

(VO— OLIVER): Our names are Oliver And Dearden Queen.

For five years, we were stranded on an island with only one goal... survive!

"Oliver and Dearden Queen are alive," said the news anchor.

Now my brother and I will fulfill our father's dying wish. To use the list of names he left us and bring down those who are poisoning our city. To do this, Dearden and I must become someone else.

We must become... something else.

(VO— DEARDEN): Previously on "Arrow"...

The ship rocked violently, knocking both of them off their feet.

"Dad?" Dearden said.

The next thing they knew, the Queen's Gambit was taking on water. Dean had blacked out for most of it, but when he surfaced above the water, he was choking and gasping for breath. He felt familiar arms dragging him out of the water and onto a life raft all while he coughed and hacked up saltwater. Dean blinked repeatedly as his eyes adjusted to the bright fluorescence of the lamp.

"SARA!" another voice called out in the distance.

Immediately, Dearden shot up in full awareness and peered into the distance to find the source of the voice he'd heard. "Oliver!" He shouted over the storm. He searched for any sign of his brother until finally, he made out the shape of his silhouette in the distance. Without hesitation, Dean dove back into the water and swam toward his brother. He ignored the shouting of his father urging him to come back and continued on his charted course. "Ollie!" he shouted again.

"Here, sons. Drink," Robert said over the wind. He handed his first son a water canteen and Dearden brought it to his lips and drank meagerly, before giving it to Oliver.

"What the hell are you doing? That's all we've got!" The other crew member protested. "If anybody's making it out of here, it's gonna be them," Robert snapped.

Once again, Oliver nestled into the protective embrace of his older brother, struggling to find sleep while their father continued to talk with Dearden. "I'm so sorry," Robert had said. "I thought I had more time." Dearden gave their father a questioning look. "What are you talking about?" Dearden asked. Robert gave him a remorseful look. "I'm not the man you think I am, Dean," he confessed. "I didn't build our city. I failed it. And I wasn't the only one."

* * *

After failing to put an arrow through Martin Somers three weeks ago, the Noir Assassin's bloodlust has been running rampant. He's had to isolate himself from his family and friends for their own safety. Three weeks ago, the dark vigilante was in pristine condition with a clean bill of health and a calm attitude— minus the small outburst he had at the Grand Opening ceremony. But recently, he seems weaker, his skin is gaunter, and his anger gets set off at the smallest inconvenience. Everyone around him is worried for him; especially the Emerald Archer, who has never seen his partner-in-crime act so erratically before.

Well, except for that one time, but that was only once and the Noir Assassin swore it would never happen again.

Dearden breathed heavily while looking up at his brother with watery eyes. "How do you feel?" Oliver inquired. "Like killing someone," Dearden answered.

Dearden knew that his bloodlust was raging within him. It wouldn't be long before Oliver began to question his state of mind, and Dearden wasn't sure how long he could keep the truth about his... Condition hidden.