[97] Christmas Celebrations, Discretions, & Assassinations

"I think there should be a national holiday for the guy who invented French fries," Thea moaned as she stuffed her face with potato wedges. "Or at least a statue or something." Dearden and Oliver chuckled at their sister's antics before settling down. "Hey, um, guys, now that Aaron's back in town, I need you all to keep the talk about Mia and Ricky to a minimum of zero," Dearden said, clearing his throat awkwardly. Oliver furrowed his eyes in confusion. "Why?" he asked.

"I just want to introduce them to him first since he's the only one who doesn't know about them," Dearden replied. "Let me break the news to him first and we'll go from there." "Why can't you just invite him over for dinner and introduce him that way?" Oliver pressed. "Well, after the last time introduced Mia and Ricky in a meal setting, that might not be the best idea," Thea retorted, as memories of her conversation with Dearden in the backyard flooded her mind.

She knew why he didn't want to invite Aaron over and she couldn't help but give her oldest brother a scolding glare. Granted, her ire had ebbed since getting to know Mia and her nephew, but she was still disappointed in her brother for going behind his best friend's back and for lying to everyone. However, she kept her opinions to herself, knowing that now was not the time for her to chastise him for his old behavior.

"Look, just promise me that you won't say anything," Dean insisted. Oliver gave his brother a peculiar look but nodded. "Fine, whatever," he said. "Thank you," Dean huffed. " Now, Thea, I want you to be honest. There's no Christmas party, is there?" Thea froze as the attention of her brothers was suddenly diverted to her. "Thea, Dad threw one of these every year," Oliver reminded. "Did... did people think we just weren't gonna notice?"

Suddenly their conversation was interrupted by a teenage boy walking up to their table with a casual smile on his face. "Hi, Thea," he said. Thea instantly brightened while her brothers narrowed their eyes critically at the boy. "Hi. Shane. Uh, these are my brothers, Oliver and Dearden," she responded. "Nice to meet you, Thea's brothers," Shane smirked. "I bet the food on that island is better than this stuff they're serving here, huh?"

And just like that, Dean already hated this guy. Nobody insults Big Belly Burger to his face and gets away with it. Nobody!

"Oh, I guess you lost that bet," Dearden shot back, plucking two of the fries out of Thea's basket and devouring them with an exaggerated groan. "Delicious." Shane pressed his lips together awkwardly and turned his attention back toward the youngest member of the Queen Trio. "We're heading down to the bay to hang out if you want to come," Shane invited.

Thea blushed and smiled flirtatiously, not noticing the frowns forming on her brothers' faces. "Thank you, but I'm spending the afternoon with my brothers," she answered, making the frowns momentarily lift from their faces.

"Another time," Shane nodded. Then he walked away from the group.

"I don't like him," Dearden declared once he was out of earshot. "Preach to the choir," Oliver agreed. "You two don't even know him," Thea argued, then she sighed not wanting to argue. "Let's change the subject." "Fine. You were gonna tell us why we're not having the annual Christmas party," Oliver prompted.

"When you and Dad disappeared..." she began, and immediately the brothers knew where she was going with this, "by the time Christmas rolled around, nobody really felt like celebrating. So we kind of skipped Christmas that year... every year. And it's really fine, so..." "No. No, it's really not," Oliver shook his head.

* * *

Later after they got back to the mansion, Oliver called everyone into the living room for a family meeting. Dearden and Mia sat on the loveseat facing inward toward Oliver, while Moira and Thea sat next to each other on the sofa with Ricky perched on Moira's lap resting his head in the crook of his neck, and Walter sitting in the leather chair next to the couch. Meanwhile, Oliver stood in the center of his family looking around at each of them before he said, "We're celebrating Christmas. Dearden and I went five years without it, and then Thea tells us you didn't have it either and we're the reason. So maybe now we can be the reason we have Christmas again. I thought I would throw the Queen Christmas party."