[141] Betrayal

Later on, back at the precinct, Laurel was sitting at her father's desk holding a mug in her hand while he informed Lieutenant Pike what transpired at the Vanch compound and booked the criminal in holding.

"Alright, you're good to go," Lance said as he came back to his desk. "I'll take you home now."

"I can take a cab," she replied, setting the mug down on the table.

"Laurel, you had a trauma. I'll drive you home," Lance insisted.

"No," she said shaking her head.

"What?"

"I'm gonna need you to keep your distance for a while," Laurel sighed.

Quentin furrowed his eyebrows as he struggled to comprehend what she was saying.

"Dad, I love you. I'll always love you," she began. "But what I can't do right now is trust you."

"I was just doing my job," Lance said defensively. "I thought you'd understand at least that."

"That part I do understand," she responded, wiping away the tears rolling down her cheek. "But lying to me, using me... that's gonna take longer." Then without another word, she started walking past her father on her way to the exit.

*                              *                              *

Once she made it out to the parking lot, Laurel was startled by the sudden appearance of the two vigilantes who were waiting for her.

"Are you alright?" the Emerald Archer asked.

"What would you think if I said I didn't know?" Laurel retorted.

"We'd say that tracks," the Noir Assassin smirked grimly. "That you were being honest."

"Well, my father has the phone now," Laurel announced, despite it being common knowledge. "And I don't think he'll be giving it back any time soon."

"Maybe that's a good thing," the Emerald Archer replied. "I don't think we anticipated how it would put you in danger."

"I'm a big girl. I knew the risks," Laurel said.

"Now we know them," the Emerald Archer shot back.

Laurel scoffed challengingly. "Do you?" she questioned turning her fierce blue gaze on the silent vigilante beside the Emerald Archer. "You seem to be awfully quiet. Do you usually let him talk for you?"

The Noir Assassin let out a deep exhale before saying, "No. But tonight, you nearly lost your life. And had that happened, your father would have been devastated. And take it from me, that kind of fear, the fear of losing your kid, that sticks with you. I don't want to be responsible for him losing another daughter."

Now that got Laurel's attention. What did he mean by being responsible for her dad losing another daughter?

She didn't get a chance to ask because right then, the Emerald Archer spoke again. "We're not gonna take another risk with your safety, Laurel."

"What does that mean?" she huffed.

"It means goodbye," the Emerald Archer answered.

Just then, Tommy showed up shouting Laurel's name, triggering her to turn around and look at him.

"Oh, thank God, Laurel," Tommy exhaled.

She turned back around once more only to find that the vigilantes were no longer there, before being swept up into Tommy's arms.

"Tell me you're okay. Please, tell me you're okay?" Tommy ranted, cupping her face in his hands.

"I'm fine. I promise," Laurel said. "I'm so sorry."