CHAPTER 5

Lexi looked at Brett confused before finally realising what he meant.

"If you think I'm in the mood for some stupid joke then you're very wrong. I don't know who you think I am but that stupid sweet talk of yours is not the slightest bit entertaining"

"You don't have to get so defensive Lexi, I wasn't trying to-"

"I don't need to wait for you to finish talking for me to know what you mean. I was literally telling you about how my fiance left me and you think it's the perfect time to try to make a move on me?"

"Lexi I'm sorry but if you'd just give me a minute so I could explain what I meant"

"I don't need to listen, I know exactly what you mean. You were just some unpopular nerd and now you got some silly makeover you think you can hit on any girl you want"

"What?"

He looked at Lexi's eyes which were filled with anger slowly change into a look of shock after realising what she just said.

"Brett you know I didn't mean that...I'm sorry"

"I should probably leave you alone to take out your anger on something else" he turned to leave when Lexi held onto his hand to stop him from moving.

"I'm sorry, I really am"

He turned to look at her as he returned the gesture by squeezing her hands tightly. She stood there looking at him with pleading eyes while he unconsciously began to listen to her thoughts.

This is literally what happens whenever I let my anger get the best of me. I should probably put a leash on this damn mouth.

He smiled faintly, more to himself as he let go off her hands.

"It's fine. We say things we don't mean to when we get angry. It's totally normal"

"That was exactly what ran through my head right now. For a second it felt like you could read my mind" she said as she began to laugh at the possibility of that actually happening.

"Well good thing that's impossible" he joined in to laugh with her "But it's late already. Do you want me to walk you home?"

"You really don't have to. I think it's a waste of your time because then you'll have to walk back and-"

"Hey Lexi, it's fine. Let's just walk"

She smiled at him as they began to walk. It was a quiet and awkward walk with a little 'how's school' questions here and there before they finally got to her house.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow"

"Yeah you too. Get back safely"

Lexi unlocked her door and was about to go in when he suddenly called her name

"Lexi" she stopped to look at him "You don't have to blame yourself. It seems like you keep trying to figure out why he suddenly left while deep down you've already concluded you must have done something to make him leave you. If he actually left because of something you did then he's stupid to leave a woman like you without even trying to talk it out" with that they smiled at each other as she mouthed a 'thank you' and closed the door.

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months as Brett and Lexi grew closer to each other. Lexi had a side to her that Brett wanted to explore. She never spoke too much and she always seemed to be lost in thought.

"It's your birthday tomorrow"

"No. I know what you are going to say Brett and the answer is no"

"It's not a date. We're just gonna have fun tomorrow at the aquarium. We never went there"