The Sixth Letter

Theo's POV

"Alright, well, um, good night." Avery mumbles tiredly for the dozenth time. Just minutes ago Avery was beaming happily, although now that she has to leave she has quite down with disappointment. Ha, she's so genuine and open, like a kid.

"Good night." I repeat.

"A-and if ya need me just flash the flashlight in the windows three times." Avery insists again. I nod along and try keep the bored expression off my face.

"Yes ma'am now go, it's midnight. Your mom must be worried again." I say.

"No, she won't. I snuck out." She states proudly with a toothy grin, just like a kid who knows they're doing something they shouldn't.

"Oh, aren't we a rebel?" I taunt jokingly.

"Damn straight." Avery says with a grin. I walk up to her and grip her shoulders and guide her to the door.

"Now go sleep." I say firmly and she pouts up at me.

"But-"

"No buts!"

"I-I..."

"Go sleep!"

"Ugh! Fine!" Avery gives up and hesitantly opens the door. A pouty expression forms on her face and her hazel eyes cloud with yearning like a kid wanting nothing more than their favorite toy. But she looks adorable, beautiful even.

"Good night." She mummers quietly.

"Good night." I say just as quietly but it sounds a lot louder echoing over my beating heart. With one last intense look she leaves, her small feet pattering down the ladder. I listen carefully to her feet thump against the barn floor and the barn door squeak open and close. I move to window and force my eyes to find her bobbing head as she walks home. Once she is safely inside I step away from the window.

Now that I'm alone I should go take a shower. Everyone is asleep and tucked away in their house so no one would accidentally find me. I exit the room and climb down the ladder but halfway just jump to the floor. I land on my feet and carefully open the huge barn doors and poke my head out. I look around seeing if anyone is walking around but only see darkness and the lights from the house. I quietly sneak around the barn to the back and see the awkward shape of the outdoor shower. It is a white fence surrounding a little corner of the barn, the wood high enough to see someone's feet but low enough to only see the shower head.

The wooden door creaks as I open it. I strip naked and fling my clothes over the white fence. The cold air hits me and goosebumps raise all over my body from my head to toes, but I fight off shivers. I turn on the hot water but feel cold water hit me but I don't flinch. It is just like juvy. The water gradually turns warm and I look around for some soap and spot a water down bar of soap. I scrub with the blue bar of soap and wash all trace of the slimy bus away. There is no shampoo so I just wash my hair with the soap like I did in prison. At least it is clean.

I linger for a minute under the water, prepping my body for the frigid air. Then I shut the water and reach for a towel only to grasp at air.

"Wha? Shit..." I mumble under my breath realizing I didn't have a towel. Fuck it.

With a deep breath I push the wet away from my eyes and swing the door open. I grab my clothes and trudge back to the front the barn, my wet feet squish against the grass and my junk awkwardly hangs and bumps in to my thighs. I walk back into the barn, climb up the room and walk to the bathroom for a search of towels.

Nothing.

I sigh and wait for my body to air dry. After a few minutes I get damp enough to put on boxers, the fabric bunching up as I slide them on. Suddenly in the corner of my eye I catch a flash of light. I turn to the window and see Avery flashing her flashlight at my window.

I grin and grab my own flashlight and blink the light back at her. I faintly see her smile and even from such a distance my heart warms. Her flashlight winks back and I send another random sequin of light. Avery flashes another set of blinking lights and return the gesture with one of my own. For the rest of the night till we fell asleep we just flash lights at each other, talking through blinking lights.