The Ultimate Truth

Roshni and the babies were soon discharged and brought home. Although she had just given birth she didn't have any problems postpartum and the weight she was so worried about losing was nonexistent. 'Perks of being an Ayaana' she thought. Everyone took very good care of her and the babies. At night Aman would also wake up with her whenever the babies cried for milk. While she fed one, he would mind the other making silly faces and noises. No one had ever seen this side of Aman before. It was a surprise to see the arrogant, stoic, no nonsense businessman turn into a carefree, fun and caring father.
       Aman's respect for Roshni had gone many levels higher after seeing her endure so much pain without complaining to give birth to their babies. He began taking even better care of her. One day she finally asked him 'Khanbaba, you have always cared for me and given me respect but ever since our children have been born you have been going very overboard with all this. Why?' Aman who was sitting by the window took her hand and made her sit in front of him. Then he hugged her with his hands and answered 'Roshni, watching my Ammi I always knew that women are strong. But after witnessing childbirth I have realised that although men might be more physically strong, they can never go through this pain and come out of it the same way they went in. In this society the women nurture the child in them for 9 months, experience the pain of childbirth, give birth to the child, go through sleepless nights and yet when the time comes their child is referred to as the father's child. Their identity comes from their father and if the father leaves and the mother takes care of them and they do something wrong it is said to be because a mother can't raise a child on her own. Why is it that whenever they do something good it is said to be because of their father and if they do wrong then it's the mother's fault?' Roshni just smiled and closed her eyes as the hug got deeper.
      Everyone were busy trying to decorate the house and get everything ready. It was the babies' naming ceremony. Roshni and Aman got their babies ready. They went downstairs and found their family eagerly waiting for them. They had fun dancing with the babies. Then it was time for the main thing. They named their sons Armaan and Ayaan. Everyone loved the names. Salma who was waiting to talk to Roshni for a while finally found the opportunity. 'Roshni do you remember Mehboob uncle? He used to live beside us. I met him this morning when I went to the market. He took me home and gave me this' she said holding out Roshni's bangle. 'Remember this got lost that day? He found it and kept it safe with him.' Roshni took it happily as it was the last sign of her parents but two others were looking at it as well.
       'Roshni where did you get this from?' asked Aliya. She held it close to her heart and replied 'this is the last sign of my parents. When Ammi found me I was wearing this bangle.' Aliya ran to her room leaving everyone confused and came back down a few minutes later holding a bangle which looked exactly like Roshni's. They looked at each other not able to understand what was going on. That was when Tabeezi started to cry. Everyone's attention shifted to her. After she had composed herself together she went to Aliya and Roshni and hugged them both. She broke the hug and kissed both of their foreheads. 'Tabeezi what's going on? Why are you so emotional?' asked Aman. 'Roshni and Aliya are my elder brother's twin daughters. These bangles are our ancestral possession. When Junaid killed my Bhai and Bhabhi, he hid them both somewhere and I thought they were ... but thankfully both are fully well' she finished before sobbing and hugging the two sisters again. Roshni was not sure if she should cry about her parents or be happy that she found her aunt and twin sister. Wait Tabeezi was her aunt so Farah was her cousin. She always knew she and Farah had some sort of connection to each other. On the other hand Aliya was over the moon. She had instantly bonded with Roshni and was elated to know they were twins. Although she felt pain in her heart about losing her parents she decided to overlook it and be grateful for finding her sister. Roshni and Farah hugged each other. 'See I always knew we were related in some way.' They laughed.
       Aman went to Roshni and knelt down holding his ears. 'I know sorry is never going to be enough for what our father did to your family. If he hadn't done that all of you could have been happy. Roshni and Aliya, you both wouldn't have lost your parents and Tabeezi, you wouldn't have lost your Bhai and Bhabhi. Please forgive us.' 'Yes Roshni' said Parveen joining him. 'When you first came here I insulted you several times. I said you don't deserve to be in this house and Rubina I never tried to understand your side of the story.' Tabeezi hugged Parveen and said 'don't be sorry. You had the right to be angry. No woman can bear it if their husband brings another wife. And I am very happy. I got the two people back in who my brother soul resides. My nieces.' They all spent time together and talked about old things and made plans for the future.
          6 months later
       Roshni started her own bakery and everything was going well. One day Aman told her to get ready and also get the babies ready. She did so. They got in the car and even after she asked him repeatedly he denied to tell her where they were going. Roshni was annoyed. He stopped the car in a familiar place and got out. They both got out and each took one twin in their hands. They walked a little further and reached the small hut where they'd stayed that night. Aman knocked on the door and the old woman opened it. When she saw them with their babies she was pleasantly surprised. Aman said 'remember you said you wanted to play with our children the next time you see us. We have brought our children.' The old lady had tears of happiness in her eyes as she welcomed them in. Roshni gave her Armaan. They made small talk and the lady went to make food for them. Roshni and Aman went to the room they had stayed in to make the sleeping children lie down. Roshni went to help the woman in the kitchen while Aman looked at the room remembering the moments they spent together in it. He thanked God for that night as he continued admiring the place where the first buds of their love had bloomed.

                                                This is the end of this book. Thank you for reading.