6

I boarded Skye's ship, surrounded by big, beefy, bearded men who smelt like nothing but body odor and sea salt. They left my friends and family to rot in the piles of ash. I prayed to Thor that Kadence freed them from their bindings. I just hope they're ok.

This ship was larger than the previous one that me and Loki nearly drowned on. Skye stood beside me as his men pulled the anchor from the sea floor. I watched my charred home fade into the distance as we sailed away.

    "No need to grieve, love. You're with your real family now!" My blood boiled as I turned to face him. I stepped forward and grabbed the collar of his black tunic, pulling him to my eye level.

    "You are nothing compared to my brother. Don't you dare think for a second you can harm my loved ones and take my freedom, then expect me to call you family." I snapped at him, and dramatically opened my hand, releasing him from my grip.

"You've grown a temper since we last spoke."  He chuckled and smoothed out the creases I made in his fabric.

"Like Thor I have." I spat at his zippleback boots, then looked back up at him. OOOoOOo's came from the crew around. Skye's dark sapphire eyes were full of fury, but he controlled it and pushed it back down.

"Mind yourself, Astri." He snapped, curling his gloved hands into fists.

"Why do you keep calling me that?" The question seemed to shift his mood slightly. Skye offered me his arm. I arched a brow at him.

"Go ahead, remove my glove." He had this look in his eyes that I couldn't explain, it made me feel sick.

    I took his arm and adjusted the sleeve for easier access. I slipped the glove off his hand. My breathe hitched at the sight. Though faded by gruesome burn marks, scars and callouses the markings were obvious.

"You too...?" I whispered. handing his glove back. The wind picked up, blowing strands of my hair behind me.

"The difference is," he paused looking over my shoulder, I turned to see the sun reflecting hues of orange and red onto the waves. "Mines tattooed." I turn back to him, holding back a scoff.

"Well that was underwhelming."

"Oh but the story behind it is much more alluring, I assure you."

[Malcolm POV]

    Kippur sheltered us inside his home in Berk. The place was nice and open, it reminded me more of a tavern than a home.

    Maps scattered the wooden walls, red circles were drawn around a multitude of islands I had never known existed.

    Evana groaned as she sat in front of the new strangers hearth, holding her hands or what was left of them at least, out to the fire.

    Each one of us had lost our pinky finger this morning. But we had lost something far more precious than our fingers, and it was my fault.

    Vince, Hickory and Kippur stood next to the maps, pointing and dragging their fingers from place to place. They were whispering, plotting the best next move.

    The Chief caught me staring, and gave me one of the deadliest glares I have ever received. He blamed me for the disappearance of his sister as much as I did.

"Malcolm." Evana croaked, tilting her head back a bit so she could see me. "Could you toss me a roll?" I nodded and was about to stand up from my seat, but Hickory beat me to it.

"You all have dragons, right?" Kippur turned, and raised his eyebrows.

"They were taken on a separate boat from Nevari." Hickory grumbled, and folded his arms.

"How do you know?" Evana asked in an irritating voice.

"How's that even a question? Look at him! He could probably see Valhalla from up there." Kippur joked, measuring himself to the man. Hickory smacked the blonde's arm. "Ok, ok. So you're all dragonless. I think I know just the guys who could help us out with that!" Kippur said, heading for the door.

"One more question before you leave. How do you know Colborn?" Vince asked darkly.

"He was like a brother to me but then he changed. That's all I will say."

"Is that why you're helping us?" Evana asked, implying that Kippur simply wants revenge.

"because... I know what it's like to loose a sister."

[Nevari pov]

    Well, when I was a boy I had many dreams.

    Skye and I sat in the Captains Quarters from each other in silence as we ate. I thought about his story.

    I dreamed of dragons in all their strength and glory and I dreamed of a girl. I couldn't see her face, I could only hear her voice and see the mark on her wrist. Then I read about her during ceremonies and rituals. They call her the Astri. You're the key to setting my people free.

      To Skye, I was a living, breathing, fairytale. I wasn't a human, or a god, but a tool. His words never rest easy in my mind. He believes I can save his people but from what?

A/N
Sorry for the short chapter y'all I didn't have much time to write today but I hope you enjoyed! I'm so excited to share more of Kadence's character with y'all, I am literally in love with him-