Chapter 10 -- Fire Burns Scarlet

Taska Rokanh is assigned to a mission with Jedi Master Burmi Rish, a legendary Arkanian Jedi. As Commander Ace and newly promoted Commander Lark adjust to their new roles, General Rokanh must leave them behind for an assignment that could have deadly consequences.

Lark came onto the bridge. “General, Commander.”

“Commander,” they both said, and Lark removed his helmet to reveal a wide smile.

“Do you like it more with or without the pauldron?” Ace asked curiously.

Lark shrugged. “Either way is fine, I guess.”

“Interesting.”

“Well, today is going to be an interesting day,” Taska told the two of them. “We’ve been assigned to a mission with Master Burmi Rish, an Arkanian Jedi who is a friend of mine. Silver squadron will be accompanying Master Rish, her padawan, and I, while you Commanders fulfill your new duties and get all the shinies in order. Marshal Commander Briar will also be staying on the cruiser.”

“Good to know,” Ace nodded professionally.

Lark agreed. “I’ll make sure the men get a ship around with some supplies.”

* * *

“Master Rish,” Taska greeted with a smile on her face. Ace was rather taken aback by the master in question. The Arkanian woman had white hair and pupil-less eyes, and stood roughly a foot taller than his General. However, she didn’t appear to be intimidated. The two Jedi set their hands on each other’s shoulders, which, judging by how often the general did so, was probably some form of Jedi embrace.

“Master Rokanh,” the woman replied in a melodic voice. “I’m glad to be able to work with you. I have someone for you to meet.”

Ace glanced around the room before lowering his gaze to see a red-haired girl standing behind the Arkanian.

“This is my Padawan, Kea Isoder.”

The girl’s sharp grey eyes shot up to Taska. “Hello,” she bowed slightly.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Taska said, returning a small bow of her own. She’s too young to be on a battlefield, she thought.

“And this is Marshal Commander Briar,” Master Rish finished, gesturing to the clone in scarlet armor behind her.

“You match,” Taska said lightheartedly, noting the similarities between Kea’s hair and the bright paint.

The girl’s cheeks turned pink. “Unintentionally, Master Rokanh.”

Taska smiled. “As much as I’d love to just talk to the two of you, I think we need to get down to business.”

* * *

“Come on, ad’ika,” Commander Briar said, shifting so the short girl could stand in front of him and see what was being displayed.

“I thought you said clones didn’t speak Mando’a,” Taska muttered as she leaned incrementally towards Ace.

“I said we didn’t study it on Kamino,” Ace replied, his eyes not moving from the map in front of them. “Never said we couldn’t study it on our own time. I’ve been doing a little myself.”

“When do you sleep?” she teased.

“When do you?”

“Fair enough.”

“As I’m sure you all know by now, we’re looking for files that hint at any new weapons the Separatists might be planning to build. This is the complex,” Briar said, rotating the holo with a flick of his wrist. “There’s no way to enter the atmosphere without being detected, but they have weak cannons that can’t fire out over the water. So our team will be dropping into the ocean before swimming to the shore near the base, which is partially inside this mountain.”