Book 2: Chapter 1: New Enemies

A year. A whole year since SAO ended. It's December 25th, 2025. Everything started to settle down and it's been pretty peaceful so far. For some reason... I feel like this peace will be short-lived. Right now... I'd found at a park waiting for a special someone.

???: You're narrating, aren't you?

I jumped up and turned around to see Aku smiling.

(Just ignore the swords)

(Y/N): You're late!

Aku: By 5 minutes!

(Y/N): Oh forget it... what took you so long?

Aku: A lady has to take her time.

(Y/N): We live and sleep in the same room.

I looked down at her outfit and smiled.

(Y/N): I see you're wearing your old outfit.

Aku: Yeah... thought it'd bring back old memories! And you too! You're going all-in with the gray.

(Y/N): In the morning Sugu threw all of my clothes in the wash so this is all that I had left.

Aku: And that's why you don't hoard your laundry! You should listen to me sometimes!

I smiled nervously and scratched the back of my head while Aku grabbed my arm with a smile.

Aku: Well... today we wore the "clothes of the past"! What are the odds of that?

(Y/N): To make it more realistic we can meet up like this for another year...

Aku pouted and I started to chuckle.

Aku: All you have to say is "Yeah you're right!" Come on! Let's start walking!

She started to pull me to the park.

(Y/N): H-Hey...

We walked around the park stopping every now and then to look at its beauty. From the Imperial Palace to the Edo Castle, there was nothing Aku wasn't in love with. She obviously didn't know anything so I had to explain mostly everything. Eventually, we stopped to help a married couple with twin girls, and... they were freaking out. I had to step out and Aku had to help them with whatever they needed help with. I didn't know that I was that scary up until that point and it made me feel sad with myself. I didn't show it of course because I'm an emotionless and cold 18-year-old idiot. Getting side-tracked! Moving on, we kept on walking around the park for the rest of the day and decided to rest on a bench in the Gohoudai Ruins.

Aku: You said something about a questionnaire that your school assigned. About future plans or something of the sort. What do you have in mind for the future (Y/N)?

(Y/N): I really don't know... I suppose a creator, not a player.

Aku: Really? What kinds of games?

(Y/N): Not games, a human-machine interface to replace Full-Dive tech that's being used by us now. There's a lot of info that I need to take in about the tech forums but, I think Kazuto has the same idea as me so I'll be fine. How 'bout you, Aku?