Chapter 7: The Ghost's Strength

After saving Sinon, getting through an intense ride while being given chase by Death Gun, and losing him, we decided to ride into the desert.

Kuroudo (Mind): We can't stay out here, we need cover...

Sinon: There's a cave over there... We can stay there to avoid the next scan.

Kuroudo: Alright then...

We walked towards the cave Sinon saw and once we entered, she sat down while I stood watch. I crossed my arms and leaned on the cold stone wall.

Kuroudo: What happened? When we used the Satellite Scan, Death Gun wasn't on the map. It's as if he appeared out of nowhere... Is it a skill he has?

Sinon: Yeah no... I don't think it's a skill. It's more of an attribute that cloak of his has. 'Meta-Material Optic Camouflage'. We're safe for now. He may be invisible but, the sand is too rough. If he tries and come here, we'll hear him walking and his footprints'll be visible.

Kuroudo: Great.

Sinon: Um... Kuroudo?

I looked at her.

Kuroudo: What?

Sinon: Do you think Death Gun died in that explosion?

Kuroudo: No. He jumped off of his horse at the last second, so he's probably still alive.

Sinon: I see... When he paralyzed me, how'd you know I was down and out?

Kuroudo: Because, 'Jushi X' isn't Death Gun. One look and you'll know. 

Sinon: What do you mean?

Kuroudo: I live with two girls so I know one when I see one. When I slit her throat, I flipped her body over and that's when I figured it out. If Death Gun hadn't called for me, I wouldn't have known that you were laying on the ground. I grabbed Jushi X's rifle and fired a few rounds so that he would step away from you. Then I threw two smoke grenades and picked you up. You probably know the rest.

Sinon: I'm such an idiot... How'd I drop my guard like that...?

Kuroudo: Don't beat yourself up about it. It's not your fault.

She said nothing and looked down onto the ground in shame.

Kuroudo (Mind): She's ashamed because I'm trying to pity her?

I sighed and looked back outside.

Kuroudo: Well, I'm gonna go out for a bit.

Sinon: You're going to look for him?

Kuroudo: What else? You stay here and rest. I wish you could log out but you can't right now.

Sinon: Do you think that you can take him out?

Kuroudo: Not at all. He's tough, I'll give him that but, he'll go down eventually. I'll do whatever it takes, but I'm done dragging you around.

Sinon: So you're scared?

Kuroudo: I think so. I'm not sure... If I was the 'Kuroudo' back then, I would've let you die. I would've killed him the moment he ticked me off. The 'Kuroudo' I was, would've risked his life to kill him... But, I have a better reason to live.

Sinon: 'Better reason'?

Kuroudo: To protect people I love and care for. Family and friends alike.

Sinon: Then don't go after him. Stay here and lay low. As long as the BoB is going on, we can't log out! Once the competition is done, we can suicide out and then let the other guy win! That'll end the tournament.