Chapter 24

HOPE

The next day, Zeke kisses me all over the face and acts like he's going to be gone for a week. I giggle at him and kiss his cheek before I step into Chris's car. I'm sitting squished between Ryan and Ben in the backseat while Chris drives and Evelyn sits in the passenger seat.

When we get to school, they walk around me as a protective wall. The other students notice that Zeke isn't with us and whisper without being afraid to get their asses kicked.

The first period goes well. Evelyn sits by my side and the others in front of us.

"You go ahead. I'll take Hope to her locker," Evelyn says after class.

The guys go to their lockers further down the hall in the other direction. Evelyn follows me, but starts jumping around from foot to foot when we're at my locker.

"I really have to pee," she says.

"You can go. I'll just grab my books and I'll meet you at the restroom."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, now go."

She runs to the restroom, I put my books in the locker and take the others out. There's no rush to next class, and Zeke will be here soon...I hope.

When I close my locker, I jump when I see Zack standing behind it, leaning against the other lockers with a smirk on his face.

"Where's your boyfriend?"

"H-he's just a little late. He'll be here soon," I say, clutching my books to my chest, suddenly feeling anxious.

Zack asked me out once and was quite persistent for a while, but gave up when I didn't speak to him or show him any interest.

"I'm just wondering why you gave him a chance and not me?" he says, walking slowly against me, making me back up until I hit the wall.

I nervously look around for Evelyn or one of the guys, but I can't see them.

"Oh, your crew of bodyguards are a little occupied at the moment, and the girl, what's her name? Evelyn? She's held up in the bathroom," he says with an evil smirk. "I mean, I get it. Everyone with a pussy in this school has the hots for your boyfriend...maybe even some with dicks, but you have to know that it's not going to last," he says, putting a strand of hair behind my ear.

I flinch, but have nowhere to go.

"He's out of your league. Me, on the other hand, I'm just right for you." He cages me in with his hands on the wall and leans in to kiss me. I close my eyes and hope that my superpower of invisibility comes back to me.

The kiss doesn't come, though. I hear a familiar growl and open my eyes. Zeke is standing there, pissed off, with Zack lifted up in the air. He holds him up with just one hand and red are flashing in his eyes. Zack is scared shitless. I can see Zeke's claws beginning to come out and also his canines. Luckily, no one else is around.

Just then, Evelyn barges out of the restroom, angry as a bull...or in this case, a wolf. Mean girl one and two comes out after her, but runs in the other direction. They're crying and holding their noses that have blood dripping out of them. I guess they tried to keep her there. Chris, Ryan and Ben also come running. They stop when they see Zeke.

"Zeke!" Chris shouts at him, trying to snap him out of it so he doesn't shift and show more than he already is.

Zack is clawing at Zeke arm, panicking, trying to get him to release him, but Zeke is too angry to listen.

Just then, the principal comes running, then stops and tries to talk to Zeke. "Alpha, this is not the place. Let him go. Hope is okay."

Why did he call him Alpha? Does he know?