Chapter 30: A Raging Sea

It was as if I had been plunged into a nightmarish wave of darkness, thrashing and gasping for air beneath its relentless currents. I could succumb to it, or defend those who had already been thrown into its grasp.

I looked from Vi to Caitlyn, both in distress. They were survivors of this shipwreck, but they had each other to cling onto. Jinx? She had no one, and without my help she would surely drown and drag others down with her into the depths. It was then I made my decision.

"Look after each other," I finally managed to say to my friends, holding out a hand to help Caitlyn up.

"Y/n," the former enforcer muttered, "Don't leave-"

I caught Vi's eye, and she nodded affirmingly. That was all I needed. I spun on my heel, sprinting into the night after Jinx. The moon I was met with was a blazing red, appearing like our neighbouring planet Mars among the stars. It washed over my surroundings in the colour, painting everything with blood.

As I dashed along the unstable floorboards I made out Jinx's figure in the distance, facing none other than Piltover. Its buildings towered in the distance, standing noble and dignified like royalty before the shambles known as Zaun. Jinx stood, pointing the missile launcher at it. A pull of a trigger would lay it to waste, a reign of terror plaguing the land in the aftermath.

"Jinx!" I screeched with such force that my lungs hurt, "Don't do it, please don't!!"

She cocked her head to the side, smiling somewhat sadly as I came closer to her.

"It has to be done," she said, a tear running down her face.

"But-but it doesn't," I stammered, out of breath as I skidded to a halt beside her.

She placed her finger on the trigger.

"Watch the world burn with me y/n," she muttered.

With that, she pulled the trigger. I screamed out in agony as the missile shot out, blue light erupting around us and enveloping us in fumes of the same colour. Tears streamed down my face as a blue ray of light followed the missile across the night sky, approaching the Councillor's meeting.

I thought of my family, how they would never get to witness this dawn of a new time.

I thought of Heimerdinger, how he would've never expected the prodigy he had met all these years ago to help in creating such a devastating weapon.

I thought of Viktor, how angry he would be that his creation made to do good had been used in the name of such evil.

I thought of Vander, how he would've been so furious at himself knowing that his daughter had grown to do this.

I thought of Mylo, how he would secretly be terrified but conceal his ongoing fear behind snarky remarks.

I thought of Vi, how she would be mourning the loss of Powder right at this moment.

I thought of Powder, how she would've been appalled at her future self's actions.

I thought of Claggor, how he would be filled with dismay but still hold out a comforting hand.

I thought of Marcus, how he would have regretted not killing me right there and then in that alley.

I thought of Grayson, how she would have wished she had just let Marcus do so.

I thought of Ekko, how he would beat himself up about not following us to the cannery that night nearly a decade ago.

I thought of Sevika, how she would be eager for this anarchy but bitter towards the girl who had caused it.

I thought of Benzo, how he would still joke around with Vander up until the end despite his dread.

I thought of Silco, how he would be proud of the monster he had created regardless of her actions.

I thought of Jayce, how his arrogant nature would be deconstructed as he saw the missile approaching.

I thought of Caitlyn, how she would be grieving for her mother who was in that very building.

Finally, I thought of Jinx, of her next move after she had wreaked this havoc.

And I cried for them all, weeping tears of sorrow into the very perpetrator's shoulder as I clung to her tightly. Dead, alive, missing- it didn't matter. All these faces that sprung to mind had played some sort of role in my life, whether major or minor, and all would be affected by this.

I had started off as an engineer in the Undercity, who kept their head down and did as they were told. I had held no biases, not attributing myself to any side. A middle-ground, impartial and reliable. Now, I'm not sure what I am.

Is it really possible to stay Neutral Through Chaos?

Well, it seems that the real chaos has only just begun.