Chapter 9

"Ok, what should I wear...?" I mumbled to myself, as I looked at my closet full of clothes. "You should wear that purple shirt right there." A figure from behind me suggested. "You nearly gave me a heart attack..." I said as I glanced at the figure. "Also, why are you in my room when I'm half naked?" I questioned.

"The only thing I'm wearing is a towel." I stated blankly. "I can see that." The figure responded. "But I'm your father. Plus, you're not fully naked, are you?" He said in a cheeky tone. I sighed. "Whatever, I guess I'll wear the shirt." I said, defeated. "Now get out so I can change." I demanded.

"Alright alright, I'm leaving." Father said as he walked out of the room. I started putting on the purple shirt and a pair of black ripped jeans. I then realized it may have been a fatal mistake making Father wait in the hallway. "Shoot, why didn't I think of that sooner?" I mumbled.

"Please tell me you're still asleep..." I said under my breath in a wishful tone. I opened the door to my room and saw Father leaning against the rail of the staircase. His face immediately lit up but I didn't pay attention to him. I went straight to Henry's room. "Please, please, please..." I continued saying.

I stopped right in front of his door. I gently and slowly turned the doorknob; opening the door only about two to three inches away from the wall. I peeked inside the room and saw Henry lying on his bed. I slowly closed the door back in and sighed to myself. "Oh thank God..." I whispered. I then turned around to-

"So you're just gonna ignore me?" Father asked. I inhaled sharply as I tried to remain calm. I exhaled slowly as I tried to regain my composure. I put my pointer finger to my lip in a hushing manner. I then slowly and quietly went down the stairs as Father followed. I walked to the front door but paused for Father to catch up.

"Since we're hanging out or whatever you want to call it, you're coming with me to get a new phone because you broke my old one." I stated blankly. He nodded in response. "You're lucky I have insurance..." I mumbled. We exited the house quietly and began walking to the electronics store.

It was a pretty awkward walk. Well, at least for me it was... Father tried to make small talk by asking how old I was now and if I have any hobbies or anything of the sort. I gave him a straightforward answer and then proceeded to remain quiet the rest of the time. We both heard the sound of children's laughter.

As we looked to our right, there was a playground with about a handful of children and teenagers despite how early it was. Then, there was an eight year old boy playing with his father. Both of them looked so happy together. Laughing and smiling together... Like how Father and I would. Until he turned into a psychopath.

I then continued walking the way I was before, acting as if I hadn't seen anything. I then heard Father's footsteps come behind me shortly after as he continued following me. I sighed in relief as I saw the electronics store within walking distance. Good. That means I'm closer to shaking him off my shoulders. Then I won't have to deal with him anymore.

Well, at least for today that is... But one can hope. I should make an early plan of where we should go to 'spend time together.' That way it would be much easier to go from one place to another. The more places we go, the faster time will run out. Brilliant. As we entered the electronics store it was like Father was a child in a toy store.

I guess this is what happens when your Dad gets spring-locked and stuck in a rabbit suit for 30 years. I walked up to one of the workers and tried to explain the situation. "Good morning, sir. How can I help you today?" The employee asked. "My old phone is broken and I would like to get a new one." I stated in a neutral tone.

"Okay sir, I need your full name and phone number please." The employee asked. "My name is Mike Schmidt. My phone number is ##########." I stated clearly. I felt Father's eyes on me as soon as I said that. He's gonna have a lot of questions for me...

"Okay sir, do you have the old phone with you right now?" The employee asked. "No, I do not." I replied immediately. "And do you want the same model as your old phone or a different one?" They asked. "I will take a look around and see what appeals to me." I said with a smile at the end of my sentence.

I then proceeded to walk around the store and look at all the phones they had. "What was that about?" Father questioned. "Look, can we talk about this outside?" I asked, trying to spare time. He sighed in defeat. "Alright, I'll wait." He said in a blank tone. I then walked up to the employee again. "I'll take the newest model." I stated candidly.

"That will be $729.00, sir." The employee stated.
I took out my wallet and handed him my credit card. We completed the purchase and I got my new phone and a charger. "Thank you sir, have a nice day." The employee stated in a happy tone. "Thank you, you too." I replied in the same tone.
As we left the store Father walked in front of me and stopped me from moving further.

"Mind telling me what that was back there?" He asked, furious. I sighed. "I had to change my name, okay?" I said in an apathetic voice. "And why is that?" He questioned further. "C'mon Dad, you expect me to get a job and live a normal life with people knowing I was related to you?" I asked genuinely.

"You're a known serial killer, Dad." I stated neutrally. "How was I supposed to live like that?" I asked. We both sighed in unison. "Well, where to next?" He asked.