I

Warning! Light smut!

~~~~~~~~~~~

The night was bone-chilling as I made my way toward the dark and unforgiving corner of Brunsburry South and Asbury East, where one tall street light stood proudly and shone down like a spotlight on the sidewalk. I decided to take a stroll instead of ride my horse as it was a much quieter option and the exercise was more ideal for me. The buildings were all brown and red, old bricks, shining clean windows, old wooden hand-painted signs accommodated them as the night fell more silent and the stars twinkled in the deep blue sky. I held my breath momentarily at such a sight, before slowly letting it out, watching the cold surround my breath particles and turn them into a icy cloud that fanned out as I exhaled through my mouth. Thoughts of John being taken away and forced to live in a cold basement or shed swirled around in my mind after this. My heart sunk and felt like it had been stabbed, tears threatened to fall.

I now understand why father wanted me to be foolish rather than smart...

I spotted David leaning against a closed shop underneath the street light, fidgeting with the collar of his jacket. He noticed me coming toward him and nodded.

He wanted me to love and care about others, not be selfish. That's what he was he was trying to teach me all this time...

David grabbed my hand and shook it firmly,

"Thank you for coming out here, Richard."

"My pleasure," I scanned the area, "Are you positive this location is secure?"

David nodded and clicked his tongued, nodding his head in the direction across the street. I turned to see a man dressed in all black, a short, strong man, hiding in the alleyway. Another one was hiding in the shadows down the street, dark trenchcoat, watching. I only noticed these two, but indefinitely felt more than just the company of two with David and I. We were protected.

"There's only two options, Richard..." He started smoothly, his head tipped low, "You either pay that mysterious man a copious amount of money, or you must run away with John."

"How much money would you suppose?" I shivered slightly, the cold starting to bite my neck and wrists.

"Tens of thousands... Maybe even more..." He peaked up at me under his hat.

I shook my head, "I may be rich, but that certainly does not guarantee I can get that much within two days, David."

He shrugged, sighing, "Then run away."

"Are you mad? I have my whole life, my whole childhood here, David! I can't just depart my mother, she needs me!" I huffed.

David raised his eyebrows and looked at me sternly, "Don't you love him?"

"Yes-"

"You know it's gonna hurt for the both of you right? He grew up here, his whole life is here too. His mom is here, his father is here... Hell, Richard, he'd be leaving behind a whole hell of a lot more than you would be." I knew he was right, but I was scared.

All my father ever wanted was for me to follow my heart... My mom just wants to give it away... Maybe leaving is the best decision...

"What is holding you back, my friend?" David grabbed my shoulder and lightly shook me. I looked at him in deep thought.

"I-I'm scared..."

David shook his head, "You're too smart."

I froze in place, gawking at him, "What was that?"