Episode 5: Abandoned Car

Abby DeVan - Hi5 Studios- 4th September 2020 – 23 years old

It's 10:43 in the morning. Nearly five months has passed since the safe of keys was found on the stud inside the wall. The excitement has long died down and pretty much everyone in the company had heard of the escapades that myself and a select few of my co-workers have been taking part in over the last year and a half.

I stand next to Patrick's desk, or Patt for short, discussing things ranging from editing ideas for the GG shoot that's happening upstairs to our lives in general in orange base.

I have been moved over to red base three months ago.

Patt abruptly stops talking and focuses his attention to the doorway in front of him where he sits at his desk placed on the right side of the shared office he has. Following his gaze over my right shoulder from where I stand with my arms crossed over my chest.

Matthias has appeared in the doorway. "Patt, Abby. Are you busy later?"

"Depends on when and for what." Patt answers.

"Just say yes or no. Are you guys busy later?" Matt pushes gently, walking over to stand next to me.

"I mean..." Patt thinks "No."

My boss' attention turns to me.

"I guess I don't have much else to do this morning apart from edit the GG video so, no." I look back at him with question written clearly on my face.

"I need some help. I'm going to try and look through the key stuff." He finally explains.

"Again?" Patt inquires.

"Again."

"Oh gosh."

"No, but seriously, are you guys down?"

"Sure." Answers Patt, lounging back in his office chair.

"Heck yeah." I add.

"I literally have no leads and I need your help." Matt continues.

After he makes sure we both want to be a part of the task, well, I was already part of it since the beginning, he exits the office after mentioning he is going to find Tanner leaving us to follow shortly after saying our goodbyes, trudging upstairs to the GG set to continue my workload which consists of: editing, making thumbnails and making sure the video that needs to go up is on schedule.

My phone buzzes, drawing me out of my work to realize that those tasks took up more time than anticipated. My boss has sent a message to meet at blue base three minutes ago. 'It's time already?' I think to myself. It's been three hours since I started my work, it's now 1:37pm. The computer is quickly shut down and my phone is back in my pocket.

While walking the shot distance towards the front door of orange base I quickly knock on Patts door to let him know Matt called.

Coming to a stop at the front glass door to blue base I scan my key F.O.B, noticing Matt, Tanner and Samantha are gathered at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hey guys." I greet, stopping to hold the door open for my co-worker.

"Alright, you guys ready?" Matt asks, beginning his climb up to the next floor using the black carpeted staircase. "Let's figure some stuff out."

Following behind the trio of Sam, Matt and Tanner with Patt behind me, the group takes a sharp right when at the next floor to arrive at the door of Sam's office which has been made the temporary safehouse for all of the teams' discoveries.

The red safe quickly appears in Sam's hands when everyone is inside the small space but is given to Matt shortly after to open it. Sam admitting in the background behind her desk that she couldn't remember the number since it's been that long and Patt laughing out about what if we all got locked out of the keys.