Episode 7: Ventilation

Abby DeVan – Hi5 Studios – 8th October 2020 – 23 years old

Beep, beep, beep. I hear this continuous beeping sound that drags me further and further from the depths of sleep. Beep, beep, beep.

Groaning in annoyance I reach over and smack the top of the wretched alarm clock that wakes me up every morning. I will my sleep filled hazel eyes to open. The red block letters in front of my face tell me it's 7:30.

I proceed to roll out of the grey duvet that is always warm and inviting in favor of waddling into the kitchen for breakfast.

"Morning sweet pea." I hear behind me with the sound of shuffling feet followed by a soft kiss on the top of my head.

"Morning dad." I smile.

My father is Robert DeVan.

He's been a pharmaceutical scientist for as long as I can remember

He's been a pharmaceutical scientist for as long as I can remember. He can make up pretty much any medication if he's given the right stuff. He's my best friend. He's always been there when I needed him and he's supported me in every choice I make, even when I told him I got a job at a social media company though he didn't understand it fully which frustrated him at first. I guess that's what we've got in common. Wanting to know how something works, wanting to know and find as much information as possible.

Not to say that my mother, Elena, doesn't support me. 

She definitely does, she may even rival my dad in that regard

She definitely does, she may even rival my dad in that regard. She just hasn't been around as much as him, what with her being called away for business trips and what not over the span of my life. I'll tell you more about her when you see her.

Although, it shouldn't be just my mom and dad in the picture, or so my dad told me. I'm supposed to have a godfather, but it seems to make him upset so he's never really mentioned any name. All he told me is that the man was... is his best friend, but he just lost his way before I was born, and that he would have loved me just as much as he does. But that's another story that should be left for another time.

My father sits down at the wooden kitchen table in front of me, "What's on the agenda for Hi5 today then?"

"Oh, ya'know, the usual. Editing, filming, maybe a NERF battle if we're lucky." I reply lightly, eating a spoonful of cereal.