Episode 10: The DMV

Abby DeVan - Hi5 Studios - 15th October 2020 - 23 years old

He turns in his seat to face me completely "You and your friends should leave that alone. Nothing good can come of it." By the look in his eye I know he's serious.

"Why? How do you know?" I press. "Do you know something about the guy?"

"It's just... Your Godfather mentioned him is passing before, he didn't say anything more other than whatever has that man's name on it is dangerous and it should be left alone." He implores, "Please tell your friends not to investigate further, put it back where you found it and forget about it. Or throw it away if you must. For me." The click of the door opening ends the conversation, guiding me to step out and follow. I follow my father for a few feet until I hear abnormal footsteps behind us. Like someone is trying to be quiet.

The footsteps suddenly pick up their pace. The way that my old man spoke in the car not a few seconds before had me spinning around, ready to see the man who's name was carved crudely into the shining black metal.

"Mom?!"

"Surprise! I thought I saw your car in front of me!" My mother beams. My dad and I take a moment to look at each other before we both break out in smiles. I get pulled into my mom's embrace, she's home. I know that my dad is holding in his joy because of the public setting, so mom swiftly grabs his jacket causing a surprised shout from her husband as he gets yanked into a family hug. We say there for a while, happy to be back together. "Well, let's go eat. It'll save me from cooking as soon as I get home." Mom urges happily.

"You know that dad would have cooked for you. He does it every time." I chuckle.

"Yes, he would have, wouldn't he?" She links her right arm in mine, the left with dad's.

I lean to look at the man in question who is sporting a permanent smirk "Yeah, ya simp."

"What does that even mean?" His response makes me cackle.

"You'll have to find out yourself old man."

"Maybe I will." He playfully sticks his tongue out at me.

Inside the Mexican grill restaurant we all order our food; I ordered a chicken and rice burrito, my dad, a protein bowl, and mom, a keto salad bowl. "So, what have I missed?" Mom asks as we sit.

"Not a lot, I've just been at work." Dad practically side eyes me at my response. "What did you get up to?"

"The trip was filled with meetings again. I missed you both so much." She cooed, pinching my cheek like a grandma. I swat her hand away gently and chiding her lightly. She laughs at this.

"C'mon hun, leave her alone." Dad intervenes which turns his wife's attention to him.

"Please don't start being lovey dovey now mom, for the love of god." I act like an embarrassed teenager, ducking my head down. "Anyway, dad and I did something interesting today. He came to work with me." A proud smile forms on my lips.

"He did! You have to tell me all about it." She exclaims, enthusiastic as ever. It takes a second for the man sat to my left to chew what was left in his mouth before replying. 

"It's a fun environment, I'll definitely say that. As far as I can tell she's got a good team of coworkers and a competent boss, so now I don't need to wonder whether she just sits at a desk all day." He finishes, nudging me lightly with his elbow at the last part. He's always halfheartedly mocked me for having an easy job because he though I sat at a desk in front of a screen all day. Well... it's kinda true... sometimes.