Complex Cases

Polyfragmentation (also called Complex DID, sometimes shortened to PF DID, PolyFrag DID, and/or PolyFrag): Most complex type of the many Dissociative Disorders. Occurs when severe trauma starts so early on in a child's life and is so constant/consistent that the child doesn't understand how to separate trauma from every-day life. This, in turn, causes difficulties in the brain's integrating function and causes the brain to be more prone to splitting off new alters/fragments. The mind can split more frequently (brain splitting several alters/fragments from one traumatic event) or simply more easily (where someone with DID would not find a situation traumatic enough to split a new alter, a PF system would find the situation traumatic enough to split a new alter). This also can cause multiple subsystems to emerge, and while subsystems can be present in DID cases, PF cases will have more plentiful or detailed subsystems than the average patient with DID, sometimes having alters/fragments form subsystems due to specific memories and/or traumas. PF systems may be likely to have more introjects as alters/fragments, but just because a system has many introjects does not mean they automatically fall under the label of PF; some PF systems have many introjects, some do not; some DID systems have many introjects, some do not. PF systems are likely to subconsciously create layers, which are specific areas in the inner world or subsystems of alters/fragments that are cut off from other alters/fragments except for a handful of alters/fragments who can reach them... though in rare cases, no alters/fragments can ever reach them. Layers can have subsystems and/or additional layers within them, sometimes becoming extremely intricate. Many alters/fragments residing within subsystems and/or layers within these layers can be quite difficult to reach and communicate with due to this barrier the mind has constructed. Because of this, most PF systems also tend to have a more elaborate inner world than those with DID. Many PF systems have a large amount of fragments, extremely early and/or severe childhood trauma, and many layers/layers within layers/subsystems to their alters, fragments, inner world, and other workings of their mind. While it is quite common for PF systems to have over 100 alters/fragments, it is absolutely not a requirement for being Polyfragmented. Additionally, many PF systems have gone through RAMCOA (Ritual Abuse, Mind Control, and Organized Abuse), but this is also not a requirement for being PF.

Sub-Alters, Sub-Parts, Members of Subsystems: Alters/Fragments who are a part of one or more subsystems. They may or may not also be a part of the main system.

Subsystems: A group of alters/fragments split off for a very specific purpose, often having higher levels of amnesia than the average alter/fragment. They can remember much as a group, but often do not share that information with the main system or any other subsystems, alters, fragments, etc. This is what is meant by "higher levels of amnesia," as amongst themselves there often is little amnesia, but between them and others not part of their specific group, there often are VERY high levels of amnesia. Not just a group of alters/fragments that share something in common.
Examples include but are not limited to...
•One alter that was several fragments but has since grouped together the fragments who now reside within the more fleshed-out alter; refers to themselves as 'many' or 'we' because of this; operate and function much like a hive-mind
•A group of alters/fragments acting as one individual or acting for one specific purpose at the same time, like a military group or hive-mind
•An alter having DID, or an alter having multiple alters