Distance

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters and art used in the story. AU and OOC

5 years in the Cultivation Realm (25 on the Celestial Mountain)

They returned to the inn for a simple late-night meal and more wine - in Wei Ying's case. It felt as if he would speak with a distant acquaintance instead of a person he once called a soulmate. Wangji couldn't help but wonder if he ever meant anything to Wei Ying. If it was possible to get close to him again... if anything, at least be friends. Step by step, discover the person in front of him.

Once the owner left them alone, Lan Zhan took a deep breath and decided to get answers to some of the questions swirling in his mind. Unfortunately, Wei Ying felt even more distant. How could he put his thoughts into words? Where should he start? Wangji couldn't remain silent, but he couldn't speak either.

"You have questions written all over your face."

An amused voice caught his attention. The amber eyes travelled to a handsome face in front of him. It made him wonder if Wei Ying, whom he once knew, was still there, hidden behind a cold and indifferent expression. Why did Wei Ying look so different in Ghost City? Also, some people called him Master Shen, while some used Master Wei. Wangji wanted to know the reasons behind it. "Why do you look different here?"

"It's an illusion."

Lan Zhan looked at him with confusion.

"This," Wei Ying started, his long slender finger circling his face. "This is an illusion. I don't look like this anymore, but you could say I'm hiding from my Grandmother. Some of her lectures would bore anyone to death."

"Why hiding?"

Wei Ying emptied his bottle of wine, then smiled. "Sometimes you miss the chance to admit something, and as time goes, you keep digging yourself deeper. At some point, you can't just come out and say it. It's too late to come clean. Now, all I can do is hope she won't find out soon."

"What did you do?"

"List is too long," Wei Ying laughed. "Answering your other question, Shen Ying is the name I use in other realms. It kept me safe for nearly a decade."

Wangji sighed. "I can't imagine how much time passed for you. It feels surreal."

"I guess? Beginnings weren't easy, but you stop missing the past once you get used to the new life. You learn to let go. One can't blame himself for others' shortcomings forever."

Wei Ying's words hurt. It felt like it was Wangji he stopped missing and moved on from. But was it surprising? Unfortunately, not. He kept pushing him away, sending confusing signals, and as a result, he lost Wei Ying. When they were young, Lan Zhan didn't want them to know how he loved him. He was afraid others wouldn't understand. He hid his feelings and came across as someone who hated Wei Ying. It led to many misunderstandings. Even after Wei Ying's resurrection, he couldn't admit his feelings. He didn't notice how Wei Ying changed. Wangji was too focused on their mission to truly pay attention to the person beside him. It came at the highest price. He lost part of his soul, the reason to live.

Suddenly, the doors slid open, and a white snowstorm burst in. "A-Ying!"

Surprised by the commotion, Wei Wuxian spilt liquor all over the table. "A-Su? What are you doing here?"

A beautiful face lit up, and delicate robes swirled as she swiftly moved to his side but as soon as her eyes fell on Lan Zhan, her face darkened. "We are going home, A-Ying!" Without waiting for his response, she grabbed his arm and pulled him closer, hugging him tightly to her chest. Her gesture was full of love, a willingness to protect him.