Chapter Six

The next morning, I stand on the stone stairs out front of Lancaster School, anxiously waiting for Gilbert to arrive. It wasn't long before a beautiful carriage arrived at the school. I didn't recognize the carriage, and so thought that it couldn't possibly be Gilbert. However, I was wrong. Gilbert opened the carriage door, raced up the stairs, and wrapped me in his arms. "Molly! Isn't this splendid? Oh, we're going to have so much fun!" Gilbert could hardly contain his excitement, and in truth, neither could I. I grin and nod my head like mad. Always the gentleman, Gilbert picked up my suitcase and carried it to the carriage. He explained to me that the carriage was not his, but his mother's. The carriage was a beautiful shade of emerald green, with a silver flowy pattern above the doors. The curtains were the same shade of silver, the wheels a deep brown. The doors of the carriage had silver handles as well, and the seats and floor of the carriage were covered with midnight blue leather; it reminded me of the night sky. Gilbert helped me into the carriage and sat opposite me, his back to the horses. I look out of the window at Lancaster School; for this was the very last time I would ever lay eyes on it. "Well, Molly, are you ready for a new adventure?" Gilbert asked me; his eyes twinkled. "Indeed, I am! Take me away to Woodland Manor!" I say in my most adventurous voice. Gilbert chuckled, and said, "Coachman, away to Woodland Manor now, if you please." The coachman nodded, and away we went. 

The journey from Lancaster School to Woodland Manor took about half an hour, thankfully though, I had Gilbert for company. Unlike my journey from StoneHill Manor to Lancaster School, I had only had my little doll, for no one else had set out in the carriage with me. On the way, Gilbert and I spoke of things we would do during my stay at Woodland Manor. However, my excitement was short-lived, for Gilbert told me that he was to accompany his father on a business trip to the house of the Doyle's, a long-time friend of the family's. He told me that he quite honestly did not believe it was a business trip. "Whyever not?" I ask, surprised. "For a long time now, my mother has continuously told me that she wishes for me to take a wife, and it just so happens that the Doyle's have a daughter who is three years my junior. A Miss Elizabeth Doyle. But I am not ready for that yet, and I have told her this so many times. She will not listen." He sighed. I didn't know what to make of this. Gilbert's mother seemed so lovely! Surely she did not seem the type of woman to force her son to take a wife. Gilbert saw my saddened expression and immediately reassured me. "Cheer up, Molly. I won't marry yet, and certainly not to Miss Doyle. You and I still have so many adventures ahead of us before I marry." He raised an eyebrow and grinned. I smile, despite my heavy heart. "Yes, I suppose we do. But say your mother and father force you to marry Miss Doyle, despite what your heart wants?" I question and feel a stab of pain in my chest. Gilbert shook his head. "They can try to force me, but I will not do it. Never mind the fact that I have never met Miss Doyle, and certainly do not wish to if my parents are trying to arrange a marriage between us." Gilbert sighed and closed his eyes, a frown upon his face. "I suppose though, that at twenty-four, I must marry soon..." He trailed off and opened his eyes again. His gaze was distant, and I didn't like it. It made me feel cold and alone. I needed him to be back here in the carriage with me. I take hold of his hand, and gently squeeze it. "We've still got time," I say. "You said it yourself. We've still so many adventures to have, and you aren't ready for marriage yet. You must follow your heart Gilbert, or else you shall be truly miserable." I advise him. Gilbert smiled as he kissed my hand. 

Half an hour later, Gilbert and I finally arrive at Woodland Manor. Gilbert's mother stood out front, accompanied by a man and two little girls. I assumed this man was Gilbert's father, and the girls were his sisters, as I had seen them at my graduation. Gilbert opened the carriage door, stepped out of the carriage and offered his hand to me. I take his hand and together we make our way towards Gilbert's family, who welcomed us warmly. "So, this must be Miss Molly-Jane Walter." Gilbert's father said. I cringe at the use of my full name, but it was not his father's fault, he didn't know that I wished to only be called Molly. As if she could hear my thoughts, Mrs. Harding spoke softly to her husband, and quietly informed him of my wish to only be called by Molly, not Molly-Jane. "Oh, my apologies, young lady. If I had known sooner-" "Not at all." I say, interrupting him with a shake of my head. "It is quite alright Mr. Harding." I smile warmly. Mr. Harding smiled back in return. "Let me introduce you to Gilbert's sisters. This here is Lillian, and little Charlotte." Mr. Harding introduced each girl to me. "Hello," I say softly, not wanting to frighten them. "Hello." Both girls replied at the same time. "We know all about you. Gilbert's told us a lot in his letters." Charlotte said as Lillian giggled. Gilbert shook his head, amused. "I thought you two said you could keep a secret?" He raised an eyebrow. I smile, despite the warning looks the girls received from their parents to act like proper ladies. "If you would like to follow us, Molly, we'd be glad to show you around the manor." Mrs. Harding said pleasantly. "I would be most grateful," I reply. Woodland Manor was a beautiful place. Oak walls, incredible views, and the biggest staircase I had ever laid eyes on. The floors consisted of white tiles, a beautiful contrast with the oak walls and staircase. The staircase itself had a beautiful silver swirly pattern along its rails, and I also noticed that the carpets in some of the rooms had a touch of silver too. "I've never seen so much silver in all my life!" I exclaim quietly to Gilbert. He nodded, a smile on his face. "It's our family's official colour." He said proudly. "What do you mean by 'official colour' Gilbert?" I ask, puzzled. "It is the colour of our family crest." Gilbert pointed to a crest made of silver hanging on a wall. "It's beautiful!" I exclaim. I silently reprimand myself for being too loud. Both Mr. Harding and his wife turned to look at me, my face burning bright red as they did so. "I couldn't help overhearing your comment on our family crest." Mrs. Harding said, as she came to stand next to me. I nod. "Please excuse me, Mrs. Harding. I didn't mean to be so loud. My manners, I assure you, are much better." I quickly apologise. "Nonsense! Do not apologise, my dear. It brings me great happiness to see that you admire our family crest." She replied, and smiled gently at me. "Mother, shall I show Molly around the grounds before lunch?" Gilbert asked politely. His mother nodded, and bid him not to keep me out too long, for surely, I must be exhausted.