Chapter Fourteen

I sit on my bed, looking out of the window. Gilbert was with Miss Doyle, and they were walking in the gardens. I had cried so much that now there was just an empty, dry ache. Gilbert looked tense while Miss Doyle looked completely relaxed. I couldn't stand it. It wasn't fair that we couldn't be together. I felt as if my heart was breaking. It probably already had. "Why?" I whisper to myself, fresh tears sliding down my cheeks. There was a quiet knock on my door. "Come in," I choke back a sob. Mrs. Harding entered. "Oh, my darling!" She whispered, her voice hoarse. She walked over to where I was and sat beside me. She wrapped her arms around me. I lean my head on her shoulder and sob. Mrs. Harding rocked me gently. "I'm so, so sorry, Molly. If there was anything, anything at all, that I could possibly do to change things, believe me, I would do it in a heartbeat." Mrs. Harding said. "I can't stand it, Mrs. Harding. I just can't stand it." I sob as Mrs. Harding continued to rock me. I wipe away my tears and take a deep breath. "Do Miss Doyle's parents know?" I ask. Mrs. Harding nodded. "They know everything. They aren't happy that you and Gilbert were intimate as you were, especially since you were not yet married." She said. "However, they don't approve of my husband keeping you and Gilbert apart. They've seen the two of you together, and even they can see how in love Gilbert is with you." I shake my head, trying to make sense of this all. "Then why?" I ask. "Why is Mr. Harding keeping us apart?" Mrs. Harding sighed. "Unfortunately, my husband believes that Miss Doyle is a better match for Gilbert than you, even after we told him everything that she has done to you, Gilbert and the girls." "You don't really think he would make Gilbert marry her, do you?" I ask, shocked. Mrs. Harding's shoulders slumped. "I don't know, Molly. But what I do know is that we cannot let that happen. For too long men have always been in control. I know my place, but I will not stand by while my husband forces our son into an arranged marriage." Mrs. Harding's eyes are as fierce as a burning fire. "Look, as you know, it is the Lady of the house who supervises the servants as well as the governess. Since the first day I met you, I knew you would do us good. That is why I permitted you to sit with us during every meal and to sit with us in the Drawing Room." Mrs. Harding stated. "I know most ladies have their governesses use their schoolroom as their sitting room and absolutely do not allow their governesses to associate with any young gentleman in their household," She continued. "My point being, I feel like you are part of my family. That is why everything that has happened between you and Gilbert, I have allowed. And trust me, my darling, I have no problem with any of it." Mrs. Harding smiled. It all makes sense now: Why I was always permitted to sit with my employers in the evenings. Why I was invited to every meal and served at the same time as the other ladies of the house. Why Mrs. Harding had no problem with Gilbert and I being together. "There's got to be a way to make Mr. Harding see that Gilbert and I love each other. Not just that, but to make him see that I'm not marrying Gilbert for his money. You know that, don't you, Mrs. Harding? I'd never do that to Gilbert, or any of you." I say, looking out of the window once more. "Of course I know that, Molly. If you were just interested in Gilbert's money, I'm quite sure you would not be as kind nor as caring to everyone around you. Unlike Miss Doyle..." Mrs. Harding trailed off, lost in thought. "What is it?" I ask, worried. "Molly, that night that Miss Doyle upset the girls, what did she say to you? What were her exact words?" Mrs. Harding asked. "Well, she stated that Gilbert absolutely fawned over me, and that it was a shame Gilbert could not marry me because I was just a governess." I whisper. "She said that Gilbert would marry her instead of me, and that gentlemen cannot listen to their hearts and must do what's right." I choke back a sob, remembering that night. "She said that there was something I would never be able to give him. I asked her what that was and she said that I was only a governess, and she a lady, and that I wasn't worthy of him and never would be." Tears slide down my face silently. Mrs. Harding looked absolutely furious. "I believe I have just discovered Miss Doyle's true agenda." She said coldly. "Her family is already quite wealthy, but by marrying Gilbert, the fortunes of both families would be combined, which would make Miss Doyle even richer." I gasp. "You mean...you mean she only wants Gilbert for his money?" "That is exactly what I mean." Mrs. Harding stood from where she sat on the bed. "I must speak to Gilbert straight away." She said. "And Molly?" She asked as she turner back to face me. "Yes?" "Don't mention a word of our conversation to anyone just yet. Not until we have more than just your word." I nod as Mrs. Harding left to find Gilbert. We've just discovered the one thing that could end the separation between Gilbert and I. The truth.