countdown to parenthood

6

"Maybe this wasn't as good of an idea as I thought," Cerise mumbled as she and Kakyoin watched Yumiko and Josuke bickering.

"I'm Noriaki's favourite," Yumiko said, turning to him for a second.

"Ok no, I'm his favourite!" Josuke shouted.

"Both of those answers are wrong. Cerise is my favourite," Kakyoin said from the counter.

"Oh thank you mon amour," Cerise said, kissing his cheek.

"Ok, well I've beaten him at a videogame before!" Josuke exclaimed.

"Let me guess, F-Mega?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"He lets his friends win."

"He does not!"

As Josuke and Yumiko continued to bicker, Cerise and Kakyoin talked amongst themselves.

"How much do you want to bet that they end up dating by the end of the summer?" Kakyoin asked.

"1000 yen?" Cerise suggested.

"You got it mon amour."

"Alright girls, you're both pretty, calm down," Cerise said, snapping her fingers at the two of them, "Yumiko, Josuke, I brought you together because I was hoping you would get along, so please do. I can't be stressed right now because of the baby, so I need you both to be nice."

"I'll try..."

"Me too...."

"Good, now Josuke, your mom should be expecting you home now, so get your stuff and head back before she snaps," Cerise warned.

"You got it Mrs. Kakyoin," Josuke exclaimed, running off.

"Yumiko, the guest room upstairs is set up, go upstairs and unpack."

"Ok Cerise."

"You sound even more like a mom than you used to, Cerise," Kakyoin chuckled.

"Well I have to practice somehow."

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------

5

Cerise looked out into the backyard, watching Kakyoin as he sat at his easel, painting over its white base.

She wrapped herself in a shawl, protecting her arms from the slowly declining temperatures, opening the creaky back door and approaching her husband.

"What are you painting mon amour?" Cerise asked, kissing his cheek as she stood behind him, watching as he continued to paint.

"I'm not sure yet. I've just been painting the background this whole time," he explained, "I have an idea, I'll paint you."

"Me?" Cerise chuckled lightly, "oh no, you don't want to paint me."

"Yes I do, I want to capture how lovely you look in the garden!" Kakyoin exclaimed.

"....ok, you can paint me," Cerise smiled.

"Perfect! Sit on the stump in the garden please!" Kakyoin instructed, leading her over to a tree stump in their garden, left over from a rotted tree.

Cerise sat down as Kakyoin ran back to his easel.

"Ok, don't move too much," Kakyoin said, sitting in front of the canvas and bringing the brush to the surface, painting with gentle wisps of his wrist.

Cerise sat for what felt like hours, before Kakyoin finally completed his art.