Chapter Six

Driving back to my office, with Margaret in tow, stress began building in my mind. Like a large stack of dominoes before tumbling over, all it took was a single ounce of pressure.

"Auntie?" Margaret asked, pushing her brown wavy hair out of her face, putting it into a messy bun.

"Yes hon?" I responded, honking my horn at a random person who decided to jaywalk.

"What were you and Jamie talking about before we left? She was pale and didn't talk much."

I really want to tell you but I told Jamie I'd give her til tomorrow, and since you'll be with me, I'm not endangering her like Jamie did. And if she was actually double crossing Jimmy then I won't have much reason to betray Jamie and break Margaret's heart.

I'll stay quiet about it til 2:00 tomorrow.

"We were talking about what happened. She was freaked out about what that bastard did and worried about you." Well that's not exactly a lie, now is it?

"How long until we'll be able to go back?" Margaret asked next, continuing her questioning.

"Hmm, I imagine that it'll be a few weeks, maybe a month or two at the latest. Until then you can stay at my house, or your mother's, if you're more comfortable there." I offered the options available, seeing little reason to give false information as I was known for being brutally honest.

"I'll stay with you. I hear you and my mom are hanging out tomorrow."

"That's right, did she tell you that when you called her?"

"Yup! Do you guys mind if I tag along? I don't really feel good by myself after that..."

Looking at her with understanding, I nodded. "I'm sure Laur wouldn't mind."

"Awesome! Oh and I'm totally stealing Zeus tonight, he gives the best snuggles." Margaret smiled widely at me as she said this, prompting me to raise a brow.

"Oh after I offer my home, you decide to steal my dog? Rude." I drawled, making Margaret giggle.

Stopping at a red light, a light drizzle began, making me turn on my wipers. Within almost no time at all, the rain became heavy and a few chunks of hail added themselves in.

"Another bad storm, huh Auntie?" Margaret asked, spotting the weather change.

"Looks like it Marg. I'll start the generator when we get home. But we need to get to the office first."

"The office? How come?"

"Well a few reasons really. 1. I'm sure Gabe must be worried sick by now, like the mother hen he is. 2. We need to file the paperwork for you to work there. 3. I'm going to check the office for any other... surprises, Jimmy may have left us."

"Ah, makes sense. Will I need fancy clothes, like the ones you two wear?"

"Yeah, it's mandatory. If you need, we can run to the store after this before heading home." I offered, knowing she stashed some casual clothes in the guest bedroom but no work clothes. And especially none suited for the office.

"That would be really helpful. Thanks Auntie."

Winking, I respond with, "Anytime for my favorite niece."

"Sierra, I'm your ONLY niece."

"Eh, semantics." Pulling into the parking lot of my workplace, I opened the door, using my arm to block some of the rain. "C'mon, let's head inside."