Chapter 42: A Prime Problem

Author's Note: Who can spot the little nod to Transformers Prime cartoon series?

Rachet P.O.V

''Something's not right Rachet,'' Ironhide's gruff voice drifted across my med bay as he paced back and forth.

''How do you mean Ironhide?'' I continued busying myself with my task, performing minor superficial repairs on myself following our battle in Shanghai. I had simply not had time to address them until now. ''Something's not right with what?''

The surly mech groaned in irritation at me. ''With Optimus Rachet! Or am I the only one who has noticed a change in him since Shanghai?'' Ironhide came to a standstill, his servos on his hips.

I furrowed my optical ridge at him as I raised my helm. Optimus had indeed been acting in a questionable manner, acting somewhat out of character. I shook my helm. ''No Ironhide, I have noticed it too. He has been increasingly distracted and distant, especially this past week.''

''Not to mention withdrawn,'' Ironhide resumed his agitated pacing. ''He has barely spoken to anyone in the three weeks since we returned and when he does speak it is very abrupt and almost angry.'' The black mech paused. ''It's like he no longer has any patience, he's on edge. Which in and of itself is concerning because Prime has always been able to keep it together.''

I nodded my helm in agreeance. ''Well, he does have a lot on his processor 'Hide, as you well know. Perhaps it was his battle with Demolisher in Shanghai? Though brief, it was rather intense.''

Ironhide nodded. ''Yeah, or the warning, that seemed pretty grim.'' Ironhide caught my eye and repeated Demolisher's final words. ''The Fallen shall rise again?'' He shook his helm. ''Something bad seems to be coming.''

I picked my soldering iron up to continue with my repairs. ''Yeah, but Prime's faced countless foes, countless problems and not seemed to let it get to him or worry him. Why now?''

''Cuz it's got nuthin' ta do with either a those two things,'' Jazz walked up behind them Ironhide, who started and then glowered at the sudden appearance of the silver saboteur. Jazz came to stand beside Ironhide, a sad smile on dermas.

Ironhide grunted at him, ignoring how he managed to creep up on us both without noticing. ''And how would you know Jazz?''

Jazz chuckled at him, his visor flashing under the lights. ''Hide, I wouldn't be much of a saboteur an' a spy if I didn't notice shit man.''

Ironhide drew himself up to his full imposing height and turned to face Jazz, his optics darkening. ''Are you saying you KNOW what is wrong with Optimus?''

Jazz nodded. ''Pretty sure I do, an' believe me when I say it ain't nuthin ta do with tha Fallen or that piece of scrap Demolisher. Give him more credit than that!'' Jazz's expression grew sad. ''I kinda wish it was though, would be easier for him ta deal with.''

My processor raced as I tried to connect the obscure dots Jazz had placed before us. /What on Cybertron could be messing with Prime's processor and spark that wasn't to do with the Decepticons or the huma../. I froze as a particular morning with a certain woman right here in this very med bay rushed to the fore.

''For slag's sake Jazz! I have no time for your cryptic guessing games!'' Ironhide growled at him. ''What IS wrong with Optimus. Out with it!''

Jazz ex-vented softly and prepared to open his dermas.

''It's to do with Orianna, isn't it?'' I asked quietly from my workstation.

Both sets of optics turned to face me. One confused the other held a glimmer of relief within them as it appeared someone else finally realised what was going on. He nodded silently.