Story#6: The Hero

But not me

***

Four princesses sat in a dark, grimy cell. Their dresses were tattered and mucked, and their tiaras plundered. The only light they had was from the moon shining in from the window. They then heard the door to their cell jostle open. A large, burly man stepped in and set a tray holding four bowls on the ground. After placing the tray, the guard, without saying a single word, left and locked the cell door behind them. The princesses, crowded together in one corner, crept up and scooched over to the tray. They surrounded it and each picked up a bowl. Staring down into it, they saw that it was the usual plain soup stock that they were always given. As each sipped sparingly, not knowing when they would be fed next, they mumbled quiet words to each other.

" Did you get anything in yours?" Asked the orange princess, turning to the purple princess.

" No...it's just stock." Replied back the purple princess.

" Hey! Be grateful, our husband could have given us empty bowls!" Snarkily said the silver princess to the two.

" Oh, leave them alone, and you know you can't call The King that. Don't get us into any more trouble." Hollered the scarlet princess.

Each of the four princesses had come from their own faraway lands, to marry a man called The King. He is a powerful and wealthy man, and being in his favor could grant you the lavish life of your dreams. As soon as they arrived at his estate, they were imprisoned here, in this cell, to await their marriage. Until that day arrives, each of them must be on their best behavior and not do anything to upset The King.

" Hey, are you..." Muttered the scarlet princess. She then tore the purple princess' hand away from her mouth. 

" I knew it...you're biting your nails again."

"...Sorry." Muttered the purple princess.

" I know you're hungry, but you know you shouldn't do that...we have to look our best when we get married." Said the scarlet princess.

" How about try doing something else when you feel like biting your nails, something to keep yourself distracted."

" Like what?" Asked the purple princess.

" How about...singing?" Proposed the scarlet princess.

" S-singing? B-but won't that get us in trouble?" Nervously stuttered the purple princess.

" Not if we're quiet!" Optimistically whispered the scarlet princess.

She then cleared her throat and began to sing softly. When the others heard her start to sing, they scooted forward to listen.

" Past suns so bold, in lands of gold, lived a hero so great!"

The deafness of the cell made it sound like she was singing aloud, for all to hear.

" They spread their gold all throughout the whole, curing lands all plagued!"

" No matter the foe, they stood their role and won the day!"

" Oh, we pray such a hero come cleans our lands and heals us strayed!"

"One day!-"

The four princesses then heard a sudden loud bang on their cell door.

 " Quiet down!" The guard shouted at them as they passed, violently hitting the door with their fist. The scarlet princess quickly sealed her lips and went quiet, along with the other princesses. Hunching up into a ball, the purple princess began to weep.