3

"What exactly is your plan?" Whitney asks.

"Hit him with the tray, knock him out, and run out of here." Nat says.

Nat holds the metal cafeteria tray and stands to the side of the door. About thirty minutes ago, the man came in with a cart and eight trays of breakfast. He gave each person their food and promised to be back to collect the trays.

Nat looked at the plain, overly sweet oatmeal, buttered toast, and orange juice and was put off, but it wasn't the worst she's ever had.

After she ate, she decided she didn't want to stay there for even one more day.

"And do you know if he won't kill you?" Whitney asks.

"You want me to just sit here? Just follow me and let's get out of here."

Whitney looks at her and then looks at the floor. Before she can say anything else, the door swings open.

Nat is standing to the side, so when the door swings open, she's hiding behind it. The second she sees him step up, she tightens her hands around the sides of the tray near the bottom and swings with all her might.

It hits him square in the face as he turns to look at her. His head knocks back, but he stays on his feet, his eyes wide open.

She swings again, and it hits him in the mouth and chin. This time, he falls flat on his ass. She swings again, and he's conscious enough to turn his head away to the side and she strikes the side of his head.

Her heart jumps into her throat as he falls back, head thudding against the floor.

"Run!" Nat jumps over him and out of the door. She's up the stairs and grabbing the handle of the door at the top. She notices the large action door lock and hesitates for a second before it opens.

She rushes out and comes into a hallway. There's a door to one side, and a door at the end, but she sees the hallway turns and go further.

She turns around to look at the rest of the kids, but there's no one behind her. She can see into the other room where the man is on the floor, but there is no other movement.

He groans, and she takes off down the hallway. She passes the door on her left and stops at the door before the turn.

She looks down the hall and sees another door. "The door out of the hall would be at the end of the hall, right?" She thinks to herself.

With no more thoughts, she runs to the door at the end of that turn. She swings it open and faces a large steep staircase rising into the darkness.

"Shit! How far underground are we?"

She doesn't stop until she's at the top, but has to when she finds herself in a large room. The lights from behind her lights up the room just a little and she can just see the boxes and old furniture littered around. The ceiling is sloped in a triangle and there's one window in the front with closed panes. She's in the attic.

Her first thought is to open the window to see outside. She takes one step, but her neck is yanked back and her hair is pulled. She stumbles backwards, and the man punches her.

She falls on the floor, head spinning,. He kicks out in a flash and the toes of his feet sink into her stomach.

It feels like she's going to throw up her organs as an unspeakable pain soars through her. She instinctively curls up, but no other hits come.

Too hurt to fight, she let him grab her by the neck and arm. He lifts her, hurting her gut and she groans, but he doesn't stop. He drags her down the attic stairs, through the hallways and down the stairs into the basement.