ch.3

.                       .                                            +                   ☾               ◦                     ⬫                       ⢌                     ⁺                   ∘                ∵                      .                    +                     +                ☾                        .                     .                      ∵                 ∘                          ⁺                   ⢌                  ⬫                       ◦                      +                     ☾                    .                  + 

teasing can be a way to the heart

tw ! mention of an abusive parent

                            .                       .                                            +                   ☾                    ◦                     ⬫                       ⢌                     ⁺                   ∘                ∵                      .                    +                     +                ☾                        .                     .                      ∵                 ∘                          ⁺                   ⢌                  ⬫                       ◦                      +                     ☾                    .                  + 

LAVERNA and Rafe were just getting back from their little morning drug run. The two of them had figured out a secret about each other that neither of them wanted anyone to know, but at least they were even, so there was no reason for either of them to say it.

They pulled up to the dock and as soon as they were close enough, Rafe hopped off the boat. He grabbed the rope on the boat and began tying it to the cleat as Laverna stepped out as well. As soon as she did so, Laverna spotted Topper and Sarah walking hand in hand along the grass. Laverna has never liked them as a couple, mostly because Sarah does not have a good track record with relationships.

"Hey Rafe." He hummed in response, showing he was listening as he continued to tie the rope to the cleat.

"What do think of Sarah and Topper?" Rafe furrowed his eyebrows slightly as he finished tying the knot. "Why are you asking me?"

"'Cause you're friends with Topper and Sarah's brother, obviously." Laverna pointed out with her usual amount of sass laced in her tone.

Rafe sighed as he pushed some of his hair back as if it wasn't slicked back enough already. "I mean, I don't love it, but I don't really care what my sister does."

"So it doesn't bug you that she'll probably cheat on him?" Laverna asked as she turned towards Rafe.

"It bugs you?" Laverna nodded her head. There are only two people that Laverna cares about. Sarah Cameron and JJ Maybank. Her best friend and her only cousin. Laverna has always been close with JJ. They used to hang out when they were kids, she always gave him a place to stay and Laverna may be the only person who has seen how much pain JJ is in because of his abusive father. And she and Sarah have been best friends for forever. Laverna cares about Sarah with all of her heart, but she also knows her very well and knows that she will probably end up hurting Topper. Her reason was because Sarah has cheated on every boyfriend she's ever had but Topper, but it was bound to happen. Laverna isn't friends with Topper, but she knows he's a nice enough guy and doesn't deserve to be hurt like that, so she didn't want her best friend to make a mistake.