Part 16 - Laundry habits?

Steve stepped off the elevator in denim jeans and a tight white t-shirt. He entered the kitchen and was smacked in the face by the mouth-watering smell of food.

***

Gabe finished plating the food and was moving back to set it on the table when Rogers entered the room in what he could only describe as being put through the wash too often.

"How many times do you wash your shirts for them to come out like that?" Gabe mumbled as he placed the food on the table. Although he had said it quietly without looking at anyone, two people heard it easily. One was a supersoldier with enhanced hearing and the other was a highly trained assassin who Gabe swore was a goddess in a former life.

***

Natasha heard Gabriel's comment about Steve's clothes and chuckled lowly under her breath.

"Hey, Rogers. Miller has some questions about your laundry habits..."

"Oh, shut it, Romanoff," Steve replied, making Natasha smirk.

***

Gabe looked between the two embarrassed, but he was genuinely curious. How do you get a t-shirt to be so tight? The only ways he could think of were if Rogers shrunk it in the wash, was wearing someone else's shirt, or if he purposefully buys them smaller to show his muscles off. Gabe didn't think the Captain to possibly be vain, but either way, he honestly wasn't complaining because the man looked good.

"Sorry Rogers. If it makes you feel better, you look good." Gabe apologised, saying the second sentence even quieter.

***

Steve was the only one to hear him that time and it made his face turn red. He appreciated the compliment, but he honestly only wears shirts that are small for him because he's still not used to the sizing of the modern age and how it corresponds to his supersoldier stature.

"Thanks," Steve says bashfully as he sits.

***

Natasha quirks a brow at Steve as she notices Gabe falter in his step for a moment before heading more confidently to the kitchen.

***

Gabe was embarrassed. However, he figured that there wasn't much room to be any more embarrassed today.

How wrong he was. For he forgot one detail...

Tony hadn't arrived yet.

***