Chapter Nine

Asrar shoved Lumi back into the basement.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked.

"Oh, fuck off," Lumi snapped.

"Shut up!" Asrar snapped back.

"I hate you!" Lumi said, raising her middle finger.

"I hate you, too!"

"If you hate me so much, why did you kidnap me?"

"Because my father told me to."

"And you just listen to everything he tells you to do, huh?"

"Shut up!"

"You shut up!"

"I hate you!"

Lumi sighed. She was tired of yelling, and she was afraid Morro was going to hear. Lumi looked into Asrar's eyes.

"I'm sorry," she muttered.

"Me too," Asrar said reluctantly.

Ninja never quit, Lumi thought. So I'm not going to quit. She sat back down in her chair and Asrar stood next to her. "Looks like I'm going to have to watch you from now on."

"Looks like it," Lumi sighed. She had a strange happiness in her when he said that they would be spending more time together, but she didn't know why.

"Is it Saturday?" Lumi asked.

Asrar shook his head. "Sunday. Lucky for you, Morro's out torturing your friends, or you would be in so much trouble."

"Torturing my friends?" Lumi asked.

"Yeah," Asrar said. "I pretended to be sick so that they wouldn't have their leader, then Morro started attacking the city. It's pretty much chaos."

"Sounds like it," Lumi frowned. She thought about whether or not to ask the question that was stuck in her head. She finally worked up the courage to do it.

"Are you only evil because your father is evil?" Lumi whispered.

"Are you only good because your father is good?" Asrar returned the question.

"I'd like to think that I would be good anyway," Lumi admitted.

Asrar sighed. "Our parents make us who we are. We've become what we were made to become."

There was a long silence.

"I think you were made to become more."

Lumi looked into Asrar's eyes. His purple eyes looked from her lips to her eyes, and back again.

"Lumi," Asrar whispered. "Can I kiss you?"

"What?!" Lumi yelled, not sure if she should be excited or confused.

Asrar sighed in annoyance and grabbed Lumi's chin. He pulled her lips to his and kissed her. Lumi immediately melted into the kiss. She sighed. Asrar bit gently on Lumi's bottom lip, asking for entrance, which Lumi quickly granted. They fought for dominance, and of course Asrar won. His tongue explored her mouth freely.

When she finally had to pull away for a breath, she told Asrar, "If you were as good a person as you are a kisser, you could probably create world peace."

Asrar laughed. "Thank you . . . I think."

Lumi blushed crazily. "Uh . . . I didn't mean to say that aloud."

Asrar laughed even harder at that.

"But, seriously, I think if you tried, you could be a good guy," Lumi whispered.