Chapter 10: Secret Lies

Bob aimlessly went up the stairs to the main gate, ignoring the stares and glares from students in the school. He entered the principal's office, where the principal asked him to go first thing he entered the school.

"So, I trust that you learnt your lesson on harming innocent students in your class."

"As if he's innocent, he hurt my friend," Bob thought to himself in annoyance, but didn't want to cause an argument with the principal, so he just gave a slow nod.

"Very well, you may head to your class now."

Bob was about to exit when he saw a familiar lady stand outside the room. She had an anxious look on her face as she walked around the door.

Bob gulped, since that was no other that Ron's mother.

He wanted to avoid any contact, but he was wrong.

"Oh! You must be that kid from the day I got called over to see my son," Ron's mother said, recognising him. She walked over and said, in an anxious tone. "Have you seen Ron? I haven't seen him since breakfast yesterday. I went to ask your teacher, but she said Ron didn't attend school yesterday so I was going to ask the principal for help..."

Bob bit his lip. He knew. He knew where Ron was. But just before he left, Ron made him promise not to tell anyone where he was. Bob desperately wanted his mother to know. But he made a promise.

"I...I don't know where he is...I...I haven't seen him in person for a long time now."

Bob felt very bad. He had lied to Ron's mother.

"I...I see. I'll go speak to the principal now but thank you for your help." With that she entered the office.

Walking along the hallway, Bob forced himself to get through the day. But he was always asked the same question.

"Where's Ron?"

In which he'd reply, "I don't know."

Some would mercilessly call Ron a freak when asking and Bob would get upset and ignore them, since he didn't want to get in trouble for hurting another student again.

During a lesson, the teacher was teaching them a new topic. But Bob's mind wandered off to the conversation he and Ron had that day. It was awful to hear Ron yell at him. Sure, the two had disagreements as friends, but Ron had never yelled at Bob before, and would solve the disagreements in a calm manner. But this time, he had yelled at him, nearly breaking down in the process.

"You don't understand, do you?"

Those words echoed through his head. Ron was right. Bob didn't understand. He was from another world after all, and had been in the school shorter than Ron. Ron was known much at that point, had a friend group and knew all the ups and downs of the school. Bob felt an ache in his chest as he remembered how painful Ron was feeling at the time. Thinking, now, he felt very sad.

"Bob? Can you answer this question?"

The teacher had called him up and the whole class looked at him. Bob immediately snapped out of his reverie.

"S-sorry, could you repeat?"

(A couple days later)

Bob was starting to regret his decision to keep Ron in his world.

Days later after everyone realised Ron was missing, the whole school went into a panic. Some believed he ran away from home to a secluded place, or he went into hiding to escape. But, Bob knew everything and he felt like a coward because he never told the truth.

Even the police were involved since it was a case of a missing person. Mr and Mrs Farley were upset and worried. The last time they saw Ron was when he left for school and he never came home that day.

Even Ron's old friends didn't know what happened to him and suddenly showed signs of worry. Since Ron trusted Bob, they asked consistently where he was. But Bob was cross that they made Ron feel horrible, so he never responded. Instead, he glared at them and asked them why they needed to know.

Bob would follow the Farleys as they, with the help of the police, search places Ron usually went to. But despite that, he felt a sinking feeling that he couldn't tell them where Ron was. He made a promise, and he knew Ron would be upset if he broke it.

His parents were very scared that something had happened to him. Bob felt very bad and kept wondering if he should tell them.

"Bob, are you sure you don't know where he is?" Ron's mother asked one day, tears falling down her eyes.

"I—" Bob knew Ron would hate him for saying it, but he just said it without thinking.

"I know where he is, Mrs Farley."