Chapter 9: Last Resort

Everyday, the same thing happened.

Everyday, he'd sit alone in the lunchroom to have his lunch and it would be lucky for him if no one had bullied him that day.

In the classroom, his classmates refused to have anything to do with him. He wasn't invited to gatherings the classmates were having, and other things planned. Ron felt so alone and depressed.

His parents would ask him how he had been in school. They noticed his sunglasses and skateboard broken on the day of the incident. But all he said was, "I accidentally broke it, I'm sorry."

When he got to this room that day, he dropped onto his bed and cried. He knew his parents would make a fuss about the bullying and he was too afraid to tell the truth.

It was a living nightmare.

So, one school day morning, he just couldn't take it anymore.

Dressing up in his clothes and tidying his hair like he always did, he had breakfast in the kitchen. His mother insisted he have breakfast with her and his father, but he told her he would rather to go to school as soon as he was done with his toasted bread and orange juice.

And he left the house, in silence, with his parents looking at him in sadness. Their son had been so secretive. They had asked him multiple times how school was and all he responded was that it was fine and nothing had happened. Sometimes, they would see small bruises he was desperately trying to hide from them. If they asked, Ron would simply tell them he accidentally bumped himself at the desk or whatever at school, when the whole truth was that he got pushed around and bullied mercilessly.

Those schoolmates would see him change forms occasionally now, since for some reason they happened when Ron was feeling some strong emotion.

As he walked along the path leading to his school, he saw some of his schoolmates heading to the main gate. They were ignoring him, for once. Which was a surprise, really. Then again, they probably never noticed him.

Instead of crossing the road to the other side which he usually did, he took a turn to the apartment blocks. Ron walked slowly for a little, before running towards the apartment block he was familiar with. He knew he shouldn't miss school, but how he was treated there was too much for him to handle.

He entered the lift and pressed the button to the floor he wanted to go to. Finally, he reached it and took a running start to the familiar door before pressing the doorbell.

Ron hadn't spoken to Bob in a while, only slight conversations online and they usually didn't last long. It seemed like after the whole classroom incident their friendship had strained, but they still cared for each other, Ron knew that.

Soon he heard footsteps reach the door. Bob opened it, like he always did. "Ron? Aren't you supposed to be going to sch—"

Ron pushed him aside, much to Bob's surprise. "Hey! What are you—" He ran after his friend and grabbed him by the arm.

"What in the world are you trying to do??" he snapped, with much annoyance than he intended.

"Going to your world, what else am I trying to accomplish?" Ron said softly after a minute of silence as he let his arm go.

"W-why?"

"Because I don't feel I belong here anymore!!!" Ron yelled loudly, causing Bob to back away.

"What are you talking about...?"

"You don't understand do you? How much I felt like an outcast at school all because of something I can't control. My friends don't want to be my friends anymore, I'm sure my own parents don't know what to do with me, and everyone thinks I'm a freak!!"

"But Little Man and I...we...we still accept you—"

"WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE??? I DON'T EVEN FEEL ACCEPTED ANYMORE, STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND!!!"

The two stood in silence, again.

Bob could see Ron tearing up at this point. "They broke my things, they called me names...just...please...let me stay in your world because at least no one would do that there..."

Bob didn't want to do it, he really didn't.

"Come on, listen. Maybe they'll change their minds once they see you're still the same person they know and love..."

"N-no...I've wanted that too but I don't see it... you don't understand...They knew me longer than you. And besides, you can control it but I can't..."

Bob sighed. "Okay... if you really want to...I guess I don't have a choice..."

He led his friend to his room and opened the closet. He knew the exact location of the little door and opened it. Soon they were tumbling down.

(A few minutes later...)

The sun shining. The grass swaying in the wind. It was a happy weather.

The two of them, in their other forms, stood in the grass. They had sad faces on, contrast to the weather in this world.

"Are you sure you want to do this...?" Bob asked again. "Everyone is going to be worried if you don't head to school and...if you don't go back home today."

"Yeah. I'm sure," Ron replied. "Besides...they won't care anyway, won't they? They'd be glad they don't have some freak within their distance anymore."

"Ron, listen to me, you're not a freak—"

"Wow, thanks," Ron was being sarcastic as he said that. Bob wanted to say something, but decided to not say it. He didn't want to make Ron more hurt than he already was.

"Alright...well...I can go back to school tomorrow, so I guess it's just me going to classes then."

"Alright."

Bob went back. And all that was left was Ron sitting on the grass in silence.

"Did I make the right decision..?" he muttered to himself, lying down and looking at the clear blue sky. He brushed it aside. He did. He knew he did make the right decision.

He needed peace. That's all he wanted.